PDA

View Full Version : Sig kilo 2000 rangefinder vs Leica 1600b

Pages : [1] 2

hafejd30
01-28-2016, 10:48 PM
I have a friend looking into these and asked for my opinion. I have a Leica 1600 but have never handled the sig. I'm assuming some people on here have and would like there opinions. I have searched and come up with several results but would like to here from some guys from this site. This would be for targets as well as hunting. Looking for best for picking up whitetail deer at 800+ yards

upSLIDEdown
01-29-2016, 03:19 AM
I'm actually looking at replacing my Bushnell Pro 1M with the Sig. From what I'm reading, it's supposed to be the bee's knees for the money. No first hand experience though. There's a LONG thread on LongRange Hunting though, just fyi.

hafejd30
01-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Thank you. I did read the long range hunting post (15 pages) and got some good info there. Thought maybe someone here had some more time behind them now that the sig has been out for a while. Most post I see are ranging houses, signs etc. my main concern is deer. My leupold IV will range a sign at 1500 but not a deer at 700. Most reviews I found are from people who took them out of box and played with the sig for 20 minutes. Thought maybe if the sig had any downfalls to the Leica they'd be present by now. Talking more to him I think he's gona try the sig.

In the summer I do crop damage so this will give me a chance to test long range on deer. I'll pry leave a review here when I do my own tests. Main concern I guess is that your actually ranging the deer. My leupold picks up objects around the deer and not what I want to actually range. The sig seems to have a ok beam but a big reticle, so we'll see how it pans out

LongRange
01-29-2016, 09:56 AM
range finders and distance will be greatly influenced by weather,how steady you can hold it and more so by how big the beam is...on a bright sunny day the distances are reduced especially on smaller targets...i have a leica 1600B and have ranged horses out to 1875ys on over cast days but on sunny days 1500 is about as far as mine will range reliable and repeatedly...in light rain or snow a 1000yds 9 outta 10 times on a 18"x18" white target...theres a big tan colored hanger(and no matter the weather)it is 1796yds from my drive way.

personally id buy the leica and the only upgraded/better PLRF i see from there would be a vectronix terrapin 5 if you can find one(as i think they discontinued them)or the terrapin 10...the vectronix terrapins are the best most accurate PLRFs you can buy...but they are not cheap but when are you REALLY going to need to range more than a 1000-1500yds.

yobuck
01-29-2016, 11:19 AM
I have a friend looking into these and asked for my opinion. I have a Leica 1600 but have never handled the sig. I'm assuming some people on here have and would like there opinions. I have searched and come up with several results but would like to here from some guys from this site. This would be for targets as well as hunting. Looking for best for picking up whitetail deer at 800+ yards

Glad you brought this up. I recently read a brief review on these on another site which was the first time id heard them mentioned.
At this point, i feel the Leica is the best choice for under $1000. I also feel after trying a tripod mounted G7, that its as good as those at least
for my use. They wont always work either. Im happy getting a reading on a rock or a tree in close proximety to the deer.
But not getting anything is where i have issues with lazers.
Sun angle as it relates to the target seems to be a big issue. Ive ranged 800 yd rocks and got no reading with the Leica.
Point it at another rock close by and get an instant reading. Ive seen the same thing with other brands.
Do yourself a big favor and take ranges of various spots where you hunt and enter them into a log book during the off season.
That way when you get a rutting buck who is almost constantly moving you will have some control over things. Or if its one of those times
your rangfinder wants a coffee break.
As for the Terapin, they have been discontinued. If you happen to find one your willing to pay the price for, be aware the company (might)
not stand behind any warranty issues. Id be confirming that before plopping down any hard earned cash.

upSLIDEdown
01-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I've got a friend with a terrapin that says he's going to sell it soon, and is giving me first dibs on it, but it's hard to justify when I can get the Sig for less than $450. Used terrapins usually go for $2k.

LongRange
01-29-2016, 01:30 PM
yeah but is that sig going to do what you want reliable?...i agree about the vectronix they are pricy and why i dont own one...it was hard putting out $850 when i bought my leica but its been reliable for 9yrs now.

yobuck
01-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I've got a friend with a terrapin that says he's going to sell it soon, and is giving me first dibs on it, but it's hard to justify when I can get the Sig for less than $450. Used terrapins usually go for $2k.

Again, check with the factory regarding repair issues. Ive been told 5 years and it goes away by a friend who did check.
Probably a year is gone already. Believe what you see or have been told by someone you know and trust.
Otherwise its (buy one like mine i love it.)

hafejd30
01-29-2016, 10:11 PM
I can see there is some interest on this. My buddy ordered the sig today. I will test it against my Leica and report back. It will take me a while to make a good comparison but i will do it. We own a Christmas tree farm and the area I shoot is 1100-1200 yards so I'll be able to test them side by side against non reflective objects.

kevwil
01-29-2016, 10:46 PM
There was a bit of talk on this podcast (http://precisionriflepodcast.com/prp-111-rangefinders-kestrel-and-shot/) about an upcoming scientific review of a bunch of rangefinders. I believe it's some of the Kestrel guys are doing it?

I picked up a Kilo 2000 recently but haven't had a chance to really get out and use it in the field.

upSLIDEdown
01-30-2016, 01:23 PM
I can see there is some interest on this. My buddy ordered the sig today. I will test it against my Leica and report back. It will take me a while to make a good comparison but i will do it. We own a Christmas tree farm and the area I shoot is 1100-1200 yards so I'll be able to test them side by side against non reflective objects.

Very much looking forward to this.

yobuck
01-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Absolutly, The good bad and the ugly sides are all important.

hafejd30
01-30-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm looking forward to doing this comparison. He should have the sig this week. I'll do an initial test but a thorough test will take place through the summer months

chukarmandoo
02-05-2016, 01:47 AM
looked at the kilo last weekend at Cabelas. Was just browsing and happened to see them. I think they are excellent from what I hear on other forums. Only thing is I don't know what else they'll do besides range. I have lecias for 4 years and I'm still impressed whit them. Plus they show temp, pressure, angle, and they are fast. But they cost twice as much.

hafejd30
02-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Had some time to compare the two today:

Will start by saying the two were very similar, almost anything one could pickup the other could range as well. They were also within 2 yards of each other on the same objects. We ranged the following:

Multiple Christmas trees- Both units could range almost any Christmas trees in a scattered field area up to and including the woodsline at 1200 yards.

Stump- 4 ft high and about 1.5 ft wide- both ranged this with reliable readings at 971 yards . The Leica was able to range easier with due to the fact that the reticle was just a bit bigger than the stump where the sig was several times bigger. The sig was able to pick up this better in scan mode than single shooting it. The Leica could pick up single shooting about 75% of the time. Sig was about 50% not in scan mode

Maple tree- both ranged the branches at 955. The Leica could not pick up the stump that was about 1ft in diameter. The sig was able to range the stump several times.

Mailbox- both reliably ranged a mailbox at 760 yards 3/3 times

Small plastic dumpster- The one a bit bigger than a 55 gal barrel like you see in city alleys etc- both hit within 1 yard of each other at 759 yards.

"Pass with care" sign- both could range anything reflective at about any range. I'd think you run out of Lcd display before it wouldn't pick up signs. They both also ranged the back of this sign at 1270 yards.

Overall I was very impressed at the capabilities of both rangefinders. I think the sig is every bit as good as ranging as the Leica. Like I said if one could range a target the other generally could. The sig did outdo the Leica on the tree trunk tho.

The glass quality on the Leica is noticeably better. The sig has a bluish tint but other than that is decent glass. Like comparing my Burris scopes to my sightron. Either will do the job since you just need to see the object you want to range but the Leica was a brighter/crisper image.

The one noticeable thing between the two is the reticle and beam size. The sig tends to read "more readings" when aimed at a smaller target where the Leica just gives no display. Problem is the readings for the sig will be random things around the object your ranging. This was mainly noticeable with objects above and below the target. The scan mode made it easier to id what target you were hitting and if a deer was standing in an area with trees and shrubs nearby the scan is what you'd want to use for reliability. I think a big part of this has to do with the size of the sig reticle. If they could cut that down in size this would greatly improve the wild readings. This particular model read best in the 5 o'clock position inside the reticle. Which after getting used to it isn't bad. The sig is like open sights on an m16 vs the Leica being a peep sight, just easier to hold on target.

The sig does appear well built and solid. It's about the same size as the Leica. Neither has a mount for a tripod to screw into which I'd really like to see at some point on either model.

Overall the Leica has some stiff competition against this sig. And at $300 less. I wouldn't sell my Leica to buy a sig but if I had neither would Proly buy the sig instead. That being said well see how it stands up to use with time and how battery life maintains. The Leica is great on batteries where my leupold vx IV 1500- eats them like skittles.

I will update this review after summer. We will be using both for targets and crop damage (deer hunting) throughout summer and that will give us a better idea.

yobuck
02-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Good review, thanks for posting it. Im assuming if the 2 units were laying on a table and you had a choice to use either one, based on you use so far
it might still be the Leica?

hafejd30
02-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Assuming you mean both paid for etc, yes

LongRange
02-07-2016, 05:22 PM
great write up hefe...ive been using the leica for a little over 8yrs now and have changed the battery once that i can remember...when ranging anything past about 1200yds i have to rest it on something or i dont get readings most of the time.

did you try ranging at different angles from where the sun was?

yobuck
02-07-2016, 05:31 PM
great write up hefe...ive been using the leica for a little over 8yrs now and have changed the battery once that i can remember...when ranging anything past about 1200yds i have to rest it on something or i dont get readings most of the time.

did you try ranging at different angles from where the sun was?

Ive found that sun angle influences all the ones ive used to one degree or another.
Ive had anly about 15/20 minits using a Vectronix on an overcast day so that wouldnt count.
I would be interested in hearing about how it reads as for longer distances.

hafejd30
02-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Today was all overcast. No sun. I wanted to try these ranges because these are the ranges I shoot all the time for target and hunting. Eventually I'll try some longer ranges but don't have the space here