PDA

View Full Version : New scam on internet; Blue Screen of Death"

Texas10
01-28-2016, 06:44 PM
There's a new spoof going around on the internet. I tried to log onto Youtube and got the "blue screen of death" with a warning that appeared to be from an official sight to "do not push back button, do not reboot or shut off computer or you'll lose data. Call technicial support at 888-866-8775 for instructions"

Called and got someone in India who basically tried to have me give remote access to my computer using a code he provided.

I did NOT enter the code, but DID ask if was under contract to Microsoft or Apple. He said no, they are an independant support company called "Support Buddy".

Long story short, they CHARGE for "fixing" a problem that doesn't exist. It's a scam! The blue screen error is a fake screen of their making, not from your computer.

Simply closed the window, and life was happy again. My anti-virus program cleaned up their "stuff".

My shooting buddy got the same "virus" yesterday. Same results, close the window and run anti-Virus.

Bolthead
01-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Haven't seen that one yet, but it is probably the same wipes with heavy India accents that are calling people on the phone to tell them they are from "Windows" and have detected a problem with your computer. They want you to log on and go to their website, where a fake program appears to be checking your computer for viruses while it installs a back door to your computer. AARP magazine talked about them in their last issue, so I suspect that they have made a slight change in their approach. I have gotten around a dozen calls from them in the past year, sometimes a male and other times a female. In my most recent call, I told the guy to get a real job and quit ripping folks off.. His response... "F*** you". I am quite certain he heard me laughing as he hung up on me. Sad part is that many people have fallen for this scam and have "donated" many thousands of dollars to these thieves.

sixonetonoffun
01-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Funny the government wants to have remote access to all web accessible devices in the name of security.

Yet they do little to protect us from real billion dollar threats like these.

I prefer my software to be opensource. I'd prefer my government to be transparent. For the the people.. Not for ripping off the people.

Way too many clowns herding sheep.

Bolthead
02-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Got another call from "Windows" this afternoon. Had a few minutes to spare and was a little bored, so I played totally stupid and pretended to go along with his scam. First I had to "turn the computer on and let it boot". Now bear in mind that I was nowhere near the computer. Let it "boot" for quite a while while he kept asking impatiently if the screen was up yet. Told him it booted very slowly and after an extended period finally told him it was up. He then wanted me to press the windows key and press "R" ten times. After asking him to repeat the directions several times AS IF I WAS HAVING TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING, told him that nothing was happening. This was repeated several times with the same "result". I could sense the frustration in his voice as he told me to left click the start button to get more information for him. Again told him that nothing happened. After about fifteen minutes of this, and his frustration level was reaching new highs, I said I didn't know what to tell him other than to take his scam somewhere else. This time I was told in no uncertain terms where to stick it as he hung up.

sixonetonoffun
02-12-2016, 09:43 PM
They are entertaining sometimes.

bedlamite
02-13-2016, 07:38 AM
They are entertaining sometimes.

I have been waiting for one of these just to mess with them. I probably won't get the chance since I run Linux.

sixonetonoffun
02-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Me too OpenSUSE primarily. Not sure how I got on their call list. Having a land line seems to bring on all the craziness.

Bolthead
02-13-2016, 02:36 PM
They really don't care what operating system you are running, as long as they can get you to their website to "remove the virus". I once told the guy I didn't have windows, but apple instead. Not a problem. The sad part is that people are falling for their scam enough times to make it very profitable for them. In the background it sounded like a call center with at least one female and another male going through the same BS. Hope they were having as much luck as the wipe I was dealing with.

Kansan
02-21-2016, 01:53 PM
So glad I switched over to Apple several years ago....

Kansan

Dennis
02-23-2016, 12:13 AM
There's a new spoof going around on the internet. I tried to log onto Youtube and got the "blue screen of death" with a warning that appeared to be from an official sight to "do not push back button, do not reboot or shut off computer or you'll lose data. Call technicial support at 888-866-8775 for instructions"

Called and got someone in India who basically tried to have me give remote access to my computer using a code he provided.

I did NOT enter the code, but DID ask if was under contract to Microsoft or Apple. He said no, they are an independant support company called "Support Buddy".

Long story short, they CHARGE for "fixing" a problem that doesn't exist. It's a scam! The blue screen error is a fake screen of their making, not from your computer.

Simply closed the window, and life was happy again. My anti-virus program cleaned up their "stuff".

My shooting buddy got the same "virus" yesterday. Same results, close the window and run anti-Virus.

THIS IS A SCAM:

The insist you have a problem with your computer and they are an "agent" from Microsoft. THEY ARE NOT.

If you do get bit by them, (they insert their own code, then want $300 to repair it, plus they put two other codes in your computer), GO to your nearest Best Buy. They can bypass it in less than 3 minutes and will let you reset your password, plus take out everything they installed through the back door.

They have called by number at least 10 times, plus I have heard from "MANY" they have been contacted. I decided to have fun with them after about the 3rd call, and that's all I can say on this subject, but they usually hang up on ME!

Dennis
02-23-2016, 12:17 AM
Funny the government wants to have remote access to all web accessible devices in the name of security.

Yet they do little to protect us from real billion dollar threats like these.

I prefer my software to be opensource. I'd prefer my government to be transparent. For the the people.. Not for ripping off the people.

Way too many clowns herding sheep.

I was called by an agency who didn't identify their selves and was asked if I have received these calls. I told them yes, and they asked if I was a victim. I told them no (I ran a business and managed about 50 computers and knew better), and the person said your one of the lucky ones and hung up before I could ask any questions. His number didn't show up on my phone either, I would have loved to have talked to him further.

So I assume somebody is looking for them.

Dennis

PS: I have used Windows since the DOS days, but I have seriously been thinking about going to Apple. My brother who owns a big business because of this type of activity. He states since he switched to Mac, he has NO issues what so ever. Let us know your thoughts on Mac. After sometime in the 80's, it will be hard for me to switch, but we have made many switches with Windows, so I guess the switch would be another learning session.

sixonetonoffun
02-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Dennis, that is an interesting phone call.

As to Mac vs. Win the cost difference is hands down why most run Win. Other then that software needs.

Browser exploits continue to be the most common threats and attachments opened by the meat in the seat.

All of which are aimed at Win users due to the fact most businesses and individuals in the states use it.

Best practices are still your best defense. Blocking access to all but relevant internet isn't a bad idea either. Pron and hacked software sites for sure.

You might even consider trying linux on an old machine as a sandbox. If you managed in the early Win days I doubt you would struggle much.

Having a web background you are likely familar with file permissions used. Which is what keeps many from trying.

If its in the budget to go Mac by all accounts it has fewer exploits. But like anything meat in the seat is going to trump all.

Dennis
02-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Having a web background you are likely familiar with file permissions used. Which is what keeps many from trying.

Sixonetonoffun, I also had an IT person and I didn't get into the deep settings.

Could you elaborate to us how to set the file permissions?

Thanks for your input,

Dennis

PS: I have 4 computers set up with Windows 7, so I don't think I am going to buy 4 new computers at this time. I also thought XP was going away, but it still looks like Microsoft is still supporting it. Does anyone know positively if this is so?

sixonetonoffun
02-23-2016, 11:53 PM
https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/309527-understanding-linux-file-permissions

That is very detailed. But most desktop versions have very nice file managers which can perform most user level operations in a familar way.

Linux permissions are user or group based access for read, write and execute. Root user Is dedicated to the system. Frequent rookie mistake is to access user files as root and inadvertently changing ownership to root. Essentially locking the user out of their own files and directories.

Some distros hide root for this reason. But thats just silly as there are times it can be useful.

Have gone way off topic but Kubunto is a good distro that can be used as a bootable cd for fun. Also useful when installed to a usb drive for added adventure.

SNORTHRUP1
03-22-2016, 01:14 PM
That page pops up on a few other sites too, happened to me a few times as well.

Philf
03-23-2016, 08:29 PM
I got the same call also
So I told the guy I don't have a computer but I think my truck has a computer does that count? He didn't like that and hung up. 😂

Philf

Dennis
03-23-2016, 10:28 PM
Got another call from "Windows" this afternoon. Had a few minutes to spare and was a little bored, so I played totally stupid and pretended to go along with his scam. First I had to "turn the computer on and let it boot". Now bear in mind that I was nowhere near the computer. Let it "boot" for quite a while while he kept asking impatiently if the screen was up yet. Told him it booted very slowly and after an extended period finally told him it was up. He then wanted me to press the windows key and press "R" ten times. After asking him to repeat the directions several times AS IF I WAS HAVING TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING, told him that nothing was happening. This was repeated several times with the same "result". I could sense the frustration in his voice as he told me to left click the start button to get more information for him. Again told him that nothing happened. After about fifteen minutes of this, and his frustration level was reaching new highs, I said I didn't know what to tell him other than to take his scam somewhere else. This time I was told in no uncertain terms where to stick it as he hung up.

Fight Fire with Fire. Yes, I am guilty of the above also. The grief they cause most people, they deserve it.

Dennis
03-23-2016, 10:29 PM
PS: The clue is: We are an agent of Microsoft. I usually end the conversation with: I am an agent with the CIA.

Robinhood
03-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Ubuntu for internet surfing on your PC. Dual boot. Windows when you need windows and Ubuntu the rest of the time.

bedlamite
03-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Ubuntu for internet surfing on your PC. Dual boot. Windows when you need windows and Ubuntu the rest of the time.

It's much easier to just run windows in virtualbox when you need it.