PDA

View Full Version : Accu-Trigger Target spring replacemnt question.

Texas10
01-27-2016, 11:28 PM
I just purchased two target springs from G.S.

I disassembled my M12FV and removed the spring to compare. I could see no difference between the spring on the gun, and the spring I'd just bought. I went ahead and installed it anyway, set it to lightest trigger pull, and could not tell any difference from the original spring.

I don't have a trigger pull scale to document actual pull weight, but I'd guess it to be around 2 lbs.

Anyone know of any identifying features that would distinguish a target spring from a non-target spring?

Thanks for any help.

Russmerle
01-28-2016, 12:26 AM
Is the spring seated all the way? I installed a 1.5 lb spring on my accutrigger and it was a tough pull... I got ballsy and slid the spring in further until it was fully seated now she shoots at 1.5ish...

far left spring you can see the bottom tapered part of the spring... This is before I worked it all the way down. Now you can't see that tapered part and she feels good.
http://i.imgur.com/VcvMRZb.jpg

foxx
01-28-2016, 12:30 AM
I know I have used springs from Gun Shack quite a few different times and always ended up with good results. Could get it down to 1.5 lbs when the original spring could only get me to 3 or 3.5. Those I got from GS were black, as I recall.

Texas10
01-28-2016, 01:04 AM
Russ; The spring is seated down to where the larger coils are flush with the trigger arm. Can't go any further, and I cranked on it pretty good.

Foxx; The spring metal is the same color, steel blue/black as original. Coil wire dia appears to be the same, as well as coil count (unless there is only a VERY slight difference.)

Russmerle
01-28-2016, 11:13 AM
It's too bad... They have cheap trigger scales maybe if you buy one, document the pull and contact the manuf? Sounds like a hassle but could get you a better spring. unless you feel like just cutting a coil or two off and rebending the spring so it fits in that pin hole on the reciever... I'd like to know what works for you please keep us posted.

Texas10
01-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Here's the part I'm not sure of and can't find any youtube videos that explain it.
The trigger pull spring has an upturned wire on the uppper end that engages a hole in the tang.
When turning and adjusting the spring, are you actually winding the spring up, and not just seating it further down into the trigger?

When installing a new spring, how far into the trigger should I install the spring before engaging the hole in the tang?

Edited to add a question.

Texas10
01-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Ok, took it all apart again, and no, the spring does not wind up. Sorry for wasting your time with a dumb question.
cl
I can see some slight difference in the way the new spring's coils are wound. But only slight. Coil count is same and wind schedule appears pretty much the same.

Anyone have a close up picture if a genuine target accu-trigger spring compared to an accu-trigger spring?

Hotolds442
01-28-2016, 07:45 PM
I believe what you purchased was a "Varmint/LE" spring advertised as a "Target" spring, adjustable down to about 1.5 pounds. The "Target" spring is adjustable down to 6 ounces when used with the "Target" parts.
Since your rifle was an FV, it came with the "Varmint/LE" spring already. You really haven't changed anything.

Get the part number of the spring for your rifle from the Savage Parts Finder and then call GS and ask them for the Savage part number of the spring you bought. I'd be willing to bet that the part numbers are the same.

Texas10
01-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Thank you Hotolds442! That pretty much explains what I'm finding. I guess I now have two springs I can experiment with….woo-hoo!

I'm really appreciative of you guys being willing to share the wealth of knowledge you've gained over your many years of shooting. Lots of knowledge here, lots of great humor. Makes this sport so much more enjoyable!

Texas10
02-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Get the part number of the spring for your rifle from the Savage Parts Finder and then call GS and ask them for the Savage part number of the spring you bought. I'd be willing to bet that the part numbers are the same.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you were right Hotolds442. Same part number, but Savage sells the part for 1/3 the cost of GS.

Now I have two to fuss with and try to make lighter….woo-hoo!