PDA

View Full Version : Accustock vs. Tupperware

Newtosavage
01-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Okay, so I've have two Savage bolt action rifles at the moment - my 7.62x39 model 10 Scout and my model 11 .308 that started life out as a Trophy Hunter XP package.

The scout came with an accustock, and I swapped it with the model 11 to make the scout lighter. Meanwhile, I shot the .308 with the accustock, then decided I didn't like how heavy it was, so I bought another "cheap Tupperware" stock off a member here, and put the action back in one of those.

Folks, for the life of me, I can't tell the difference downrange. If anything, I'm shooting better groups from the "cheap tupperware" stocks than the Accustocks. I've shot so many sub-MOA groups from those tupperware stocks now that I've lost count. This evening, that .308 in the cheap plastic stock shot 0.7" with one load and 0.8" with another at 100 yards, and then I finished the evening at 300 yards with three rounds inside of 2 inches. TWO inches at 300 yards. And that was with a fixed 6x scope. That rifle weighs exactly 7 lbs., scoped, and gives me sub-MOA to 300 yards with the lightest configuration I can find.

I'm sure the engineering and physics behind the accustock are solid, but I can't tell the difference. I'm consistently shooting groups with both of my Savages in tupperware stocks that are at the limit of my ability to aim with fixed 4x and 6x scopes. I'm a little surprised, but I'm also very happy with the result!

Anyone need an Accustock? I've got one for sale. :D

Newtosavage
01-27-2016, 09:57 PM
300 yard group, Savage model 11 .308 with Weaver K6 scope, 168-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over 37 grains H4895 (2250 fps).

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah8/John_Magera/IMG_0053_zpsjpf6gptf.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/John_Magera/media/IMG_0053_zpsjpf6gptf.jpg.html)

FW Conch
01-27-2016, 10:10 PM
I have 3 Tupperware stocks that came off Stevens 200 SA's. I installed an AR 15 pistol grip on one, did some stiffening on another, and the third is bone stock. They are as light a stock as you can get, without going carbon fiber, so I drop a barreled action in one of them when I want a walking hunting rifle. When I site them in, if I get 1 1/4" groups, thats fine and I don't bother trying to do any better. These guys that take their thumb and forefinger and push the forend over and touch the barrel, or claim the stock touches the barrel just because they installed a bipod, make me laugh :-). I'm glad your Tupperware has worked out for you :-) Jim

foxx
01-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Well, I don't think the Accustock will show it's merits inside of 300 yards. Whether it will at 600, I don't know, either. But in it's defense (and maybe Tupperware's as well), any Savage factory stock should work fine for hunting purposes inside of 300 yards, so...

Russmerle
01-28-2016, 12:42 AM
My Tupperware stocked 10PSR shot sub MOA with factory ammo... Added Bell Carlson M40 type stock and it shot the same. The stocks do have steel sleeves where the bolts go. Maybe that helps with the mating maybe not, either way the stocks work great!

Russmerle
01-28-2016, 12:42 AM
300 yard group, Savage model 11 .308 with Weaver K6 scope, 168-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over 37 grains H4895 (2250 fps).

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah8/John_Magera/IMG_0053_zpsjpf6gptf.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/John_Magera/media/IMG_0053_zpsjpf6gptf.jpg.html)
Seriously nice shooting

Ol' BW
01-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Newtosavage:

Some of us can shoot, the rest make excuses!

Nice shooting!

BW

Newtosavage
01-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks. I don't know whether that's all that "great" but I'm not a target shooter either. Just a hunter. I figure everyone shooting off sandbags can do that. It's just trigger control and follow through, which is a lot easier when you're shooting reduced loads. ;)

Sure is nice to know if a 300-yard shot presents itself, the gun is up to the task.

That particular gun sure seems to like 2.800" COAL rounds. My 168-grain NBT's were made to that length (as per the reloading spec) and I thought I'd run the 150's out to that length as well, even though the reloading spec was shorter than that. I guess maybe there is something to that distance to the lands thing everyone talks about.

Russmerle
01-28-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks. I don't know whether that's all that "great" but I'm not a target shooter either. Just a hunter. I figure everyone shooting off sandbags can do that. It's just trigger control and follow through, which is a lot easier when you're shooting reduced loads. ;)

Sure is nice to know if a 300-yard shot presents itself, the gun is up to the task.

That particular gun sure seems to like 2.800" COAL rounds. My 168-grain NBT's were made to that length (as per the reloading spec) and I thought I'd run the 150's out to that length as well, even though the reloading spec was shorter than that. I guess maybe there is something to that distance to the lands thing everyone talks about.

Speaking of the lands; I know a few guys that barely place their bullet in empty case, load into rifle, remove case with now seated bullet, and measure OAL. Then they load their rounds to an OAL to 1/1000 to 5/1000 short of that measurement placing the bullet as close as possible to the lands/grooves... That's crazy to me but those guys have been reloading for decades and probably know what their doing lol

Newtosavage
01-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Speaking of the lands; I know a few guys that barely place their bullet in empty case, load into rifle, remove case with now seated bullet, and measure OAL.

I've done this. It works. I marked up the bullet with a sharpie so I could see the impression from the lands on the bullet, to make sure. My COAL was very long - too long for 150 grain rounds. Might be able to do that with the 168's though. But since this is a hunting rifle and not a range or target gun, I'm going to call it a day at 2.800 COAL. I am shooting sub-MOA to 300 yards, and that is more than good enough for me.