PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16 Question

acj7382
01-26-2016, 09:21 PM
I've got a Savage 16 weather warrior pre accutrigger. I've been shooting longer distances with a Savage 308 and a Tikka T3 CTR with 20 inch semi bull barrels. My Savage 16 is chambered in 300 wsm with a fat bast,,,rd muzzle brake. I'm wanting to start trying some 1000 yard competitions and really like the 300 wsm. What would I have to do to change to a semi bull barrel and get it threaded for the brake to fit the one I have now. Not sure if I have to change stocks. Also has a blind box magazine and not sure if that's an issue. My trigger has been reworked at 2.2 lbs. stock has been pillar bedded if I don't have to change. Should I redo this gun or buy a Savage Axis or 11 and start over. My 308 is a Savage Hog Hunter but it's doing great out to 600 yards. Tikka 260 doing good out to 600 also. If I can change the barrel and not stock where could I order a barrel like I need. I'm really wanting to stick with the 300 wsm and 190 grain bullets to buck the wind and get all the velocity I possibly can. I don't want to stay with the 6.5 cartridge.

darkker
01-27-2016, 01:03 AM
Holy smokes!!

Let's get this mess sorted out.
1) It's a savage. To change the barrel, you loosen the nut, replace with any barrel of your choosing, headspace and lock the nut again. Only pertinent info is whether or not it's a large shank. Either buy a threaded barrel, or have the new one threaded, should be standard 5/8 thread.
2) You "have" have to change stocks if you don't like the current one. Otherwise only a bit of barrel channel opening.
3) blind Mag is an issue, only if you don't like it for the style of competition you plan on shooting.
4) Do you want to buy another gun, or change this one? That's your call on what you "should" do.
5) you can order a savage drop-in barrel from about every barrel maker on the planet. Just pick what you like best.

Honestly the cartridges aren't the hold-up. If you spend a little time with a ballistics calc, you'll see that the WSM running flat-out with 190's Vs. 140's at a regular pace in the 260 has zero drift difference at 1,000; and only 1 Mil difference in drop.
Do what makes you happy, by all means. For the extra effort and component price needed to keep the WSM up to what the 260 can already do, i'd stay there.