PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Varmint Hunt

Silvercrow1
01-26-2016, 03:37 PM
My daughter just moved to Iowa...near the area they call the "Quad Cities". She just moved there from Michigan and I've yet to do research on the area.

SO...One thing I'd love to do is a Prairie Dog, or Rock Chuck hunt. I've seen videos from Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho..where would be the closest place to eastern Iowa to do such a hunt?

Also-are there guided hunts for Prairie Dogs and Rock Chuck? Unitas Ground Squirrels? I've just gotta experience this one time before I leave this earth. Any suggestions appreciated...THANKS!

Brian

yobuck
01-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Id say a days drive west would put you on prairie dogs, but you might be dealing with indians, as in paying them to hunt.
And possibly paying for a not so good hunt as well.
A better option might be a longer drive to Wyoming or Montana.

savgebolt
01-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Silver , there are some outfitters that advertise in predator extreme magazine , check that out , last year i googled looking for prairie dog hunting and most listed were out of business,,,, i do hear lots of people have good hunts in south dakota ,,hope that helps

wyo85
01-30-2016, 11:48 PM
We got a few p-dogs around Cheyenne Wyoming but we must be 10 hours from the Quad Cities

Don-T
02-02-2016, 05:17 PM
You still got a hike. Draw a line from Pierre, SD down to Dodge City, KS and figure the prairie dogs pretty much all live west of there. The Rosebud reservation in SD looks to be as close as you get. I go there every year even though the plague has lowered the populations a good bit. Lots of prairie dog hunters around anymore too.

Iowa Fox
02-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Brian the Quad Cities are about 14 driving hours east of decent dog shooting.