PDA

View Full Version : Savage 42: How does a model 42 hold up to use/abuse?

teddy12b
01-25-2016, 06:19 PM
I've always liked the Model 42 22/410 combo, but I've always passed on buying one because of plastic sights. The plastic sights just didn't look like they'd hold up well to me, and maybe I'm wrong about that. Now that there's a take down version of that 42, I don't think I'm going to be able to resist buying one, the compact in particular.

So I guess I'm just curious if anyone has a model 42 and thinks I'm wrong about how robust it is. Are there any aftermarket machined steel sights for the model 42? What kinds of options are out there for a model 42?

J.Baker
01-29-2016, 12:30 PM
The sights are by far the worst aspect of the Model 42. Personally I found them all but unusable as the rear sight has a very narrow window in it and the front sight is cone shaped and very wide so you can never get a consistent, precision aiming point with them. They're adequate for the .410 barrel, but all but useless with the rimfire barrel in my view.

As far as durability goes though I really don't see where that would be a problem as they're made from a very rugged polymer.

teddy12b
02-01-2016, 11:49 AM
I just get nervous about plastic sights, especially with a single shot, especially if I'm going to think of this as a backpack gun. I don't knock my gear around on purpose, but my stuff does get used. I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't machined some iron sight mod for the savage 42. When I saw Savage came out with a new version of the 42 my first thoughts were hoping the sights would be a little more robust.

J.Baker
02-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Would be nice to see an aftermarket sight option for the 42, but honestly I don't know how well they're selling and if they're selling enough to make it worth-while for one of the sight companies to look at developing something. Here's what I would:

1. Get Skinner Sights to make a peep sight that mounts using the factory rear sight mounting holes
2. File the front sight off the barrel band and then move barrel band back a little to allow room for a front sight ramp
3. D&T barrel for a ramped front sight

fishingsetx
06-17-2016, 10:11 AM
they do sell a picatinny rail for the model 42. dont know how well a scooe or other optic would hold up to backpacking though. might be something to work with. I just bought one last week and ser it up for squirrel hunting. leupold M-8 6x scope for the .22 and a cheapo reflex sight for the .410 for follow-ups/runners. kinda overkill, bit its bound to be fun!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160617/f2fd6a52d2c5b3d66f354697b2ed0b15.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160617/b8273cfd18e3b0c81ee39ed8e74952b9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

teddy12b
07-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Well, to follow up I ended up buying a savage 42 take down 22lr/.410 in the compact size. I immediately tried to open up the buttstock compartment on the gun, but the little plastic tab on the top of the recoil pad broke off immediately. That's a bummer for sure, but it'll still hold in place. So far I'm happy with the gun for what it is, but I am going to have to do something about the sights. I have a plan, and I'll update when I've got it done.

J.Baker
07-12-2016, 01:06 AM
That would probably be because there isn't a storage compartment in the buttstock - at least not in the sense like the old Model 24C's had with the trap-door. That little plastic tab is just the retention tab for the recoil pad, not a release button. ;)