PDA

View Full Version : Flying with reloads

Chrazy-Chris
01-25-2016, 03:33 PM
(Note: cross-posted here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/457442_Flying_with_reloads.html)

So I just checked in at the American Airlines counter at Dulles and declared that I'm checking a rifle and ammo (all packed in a hard case with padlocks per TSA guidelines and 140rds of .308 in 20rd MTM slip top plastic cases). The rep asked if it was reloaded ammo. I hadn't ever encountered this before. I gave him the answer he was looking for and went along my way. He asked me to put the "firearms unloaded" paper in the case but never looked in the case himself (or even asked if it was loaded..ha)

I reviewed the TSA site beforehand which states:

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

The clickable citation states:
(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

I also reviewed the American Airlines website and found no mention of reloaded ammo, only:
Ammunition must be:

In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal). Ammunition is not accepted in magazines or clips.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/firearms-ammunition.jsp

This has me concerned because I spent over $200 bucks on a pelican case to fly with my long range 308. I can't really afford to pay for factory match ammo, and of course reloading is all part of the hobby. My other concern is also whether I'll be able to bring my brass back with me. I live in Northern VA and don't really get to do any long range shooting around here so flying with my rig to the farm is pretty much my only opportunity.

Also, I was told that the riflescope in my carry-on was for bird watching. I cited the TSA website above which clearly states riflescopes are an acceptable exception to gun parts allowed on carry-on. The TSA guy just said they had "a disagreement" over a scope before so I shut up and went with it.

Bottom line- Anyone ever catch any flack for flying with reloads?

6mmBR_Shooter
01-25-2016, 04:01 PM
A guy in our gun club is a member of the Dallas Safari Club. Everything he shoots is reloads and he hunts internationally multiple times per year. He has never had an issue with reloads that I know of and he doesnt even shoot any factory ammo.

You are correct that the rifle scope can be detached and in carry on. The agent apparently didn't know what they were talking about. Next time instead of citing the reg, print it out and bring it with you.

If its an issue tell them its factory ammo. It's not illegal and they have no way of knowing. I've never hear of anyone having an issue with ammo in a hard plastic MTM type case either.

For the brass, you might be better off having someone mail it back to your house for you at the end of your trip. I have never tried to fly with spent brass, but its something else an uninformed individual at the airport can give you a hard time over.

scooterf79
01-26-2016, 07:08 AM
I went to Wyoming last year to prairie dog hunt and took 2 rifles with 100 rds each ( not nearly enough...lol) and had zero issues. I had my ammo boxed in a small ammo can in my luggage though. I wasnt even asked about ammo when I checked in my rifles. I brought the empties back the same way I took them. I don't see why you would have any trouble.
Scooter

tufrthnails
01-26-2016, 08:35 PM
I fly with reloads and never had an issue (nor been asked) with MTM type plastic cases. I bring my brass back in the case I brought in loaded. I use a pelican style that hold my rifle, pistols, and ammo.