PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Removing "C" clip on Mark II bolt

Scionti95
01-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Am new to the forum as I just purchased a used Mark II-GXP. Wanted to clean it up, so without a manual watched a couple U-tube video's. On one, the gentleman removed the "C" clip to clean the extractors and firing pin. Thought I should do that also. No problem removing the small clip, but re-installing was another thing. Realized his directions and demonstration may not have been totally accurate. He was holding both extractors and firing pins with one hand while trying to slip the clip back into place. He had a hard time with the small indents in the clip, so you can imagine the trouble I had. I finally decided to slip the clip only over the firing pin and line up the indents with the extractor slots. I then pushed the extractors into place. This seemed to work much better. Did I get lucky or is this the recommended way to get the extractors in place?:confused: Another question, any rule of thumb for cleaning the firing pin and extractors? Not looking forward to removing the clip and going through that exercise anytime soon. I am very particular about the cleaning of my guns and understand the importance of keeping the bolt and other components clean, but wanted your thoughts on how often you all remove and clean the extractors/firing pin. Would appreciate your thoughts on this concern. As a new Savage owner, I am eager to learn all that I can. Thanks !!

sharpshooter
01-25-2016, 02:37 PM
You are better off leaving them in and blasting out the crud with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Scionti95
01-25-2016, 03:38 PM
sharpshooter: That is great advice. As much as I enjoy getting out to the range and shooting, I never really mind cleaning my guns. Replacing the extractors and firing pin with that small "C" clip on the Mark II tempered the enjoyment. Had pretty much made up my mind that I would soak the bolt in some CLP and wipe it down. Like your idea much better. Appreciate.:peace:

justinp61
01-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Here's a good read. it's for a 93 but the mkII bolts are the same.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78552

While you have it apart go ahead and polish it.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230883

I also recommend changing the flimsy bottom metal to a heavier one, several companies sell them. Also an Apachee Trigger Kit will do wonders.

Scionti95
01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
justinp61: Thank you for the post. Look like some fun projects ahead. Will have to go over it a couple of times so that I completely understand. Being new to bolt action and Savage's in particular, the learning curve may be a little steep. Your information will go a long way in helping with the curve.