PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the bolt heads?

pbmax84
01-25-2016, 08:09 AM
I have been to all the vendor sites trying to find a .308 size, short action, small firing pin bolt head (factory savage), and everyone shows backorder, no expected date. I have also posted want to buy ads on here and haven't had any replies. Any idea why they are so hard to find? This is a low budget hunting rifle, and a PTG is just too expensive for my use.

short round
01-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Try Gun Shack

pbmax84
01-25-2016, 08:35 AM
I did try them. Website says out of stock.

adammiddagh
01-25-2016, 08:40 AM
It is winter, everyone is stuck inside playing with builds?

Hotolds442
01-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Did you try Savage Customer Service?

brianlt21
01-25-2016, 09:48 AM
I am in the same boat i just got off the phone with savage and they wont sell to anyone without an ffl

sjeccles
01-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Brownells is out of a lot of savage parts, when I asked when they were expected in the gal told me Oct 2015 , so evidently Savage is running a little behind on filling orders for parts. luckily for me Midway had the bolt head I needed in stock

Texas10
01-25-2016, 10:22 AM
I am in the same boat i just got off the phone with savage and they wont sell to anyone without an ffl

????

Just bought a bolt head for 243 SA two or three weeks ago from Savage. I am not an FFL and they didn't ask. I wonder what has changed?

brianlt21
01-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Not sure

FW Conch
01-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Can't you sign a waver and get action & bolt parts ??

stomp442
01-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Yes. They even have a form they will fax you and have you fill out. Call back and talk to a rep who actually wants to help someone.

pbmax84
01-25-2016, 07:15 PM
I'll try calling Savage. Thanks for the help.

dwm
01-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Savage customer service e-mailed me the waiver form, I signed it, scanned it and e-mailed it back, whole thing took 15 minutes.

I bought a firing pin assembly and complete bolt assembly just a couple of weeks ago.

Worked great ...

brianlt21
01-26-2016, 09:33 PM
When I talked to them yesterday they said they have changed their policy this month and we will have to start getting bolt heads from brownells or midway they will not sell to anyone with or without ffl doesn't matter

Hotolds442
01-26-2016, 11:31 PM
When I talked to them yesterday they said they have changed their policy this month and we will have to start getting bolt heads from brownells or midway they will not sell to anyone with or without ffl doesn't matter

I was thinking about listing the dozen or so extras I have acquired over the years, if this is true, Ill be hanging on to them.

J.Baker
01-29-2016, 11:30 AM
This has become all too common with Savage and some other manufacturers when it comes to parts. The problem stems from the whole "on demand" parts and materials philosophy that has taken over most every area of manufacturing these days. Every manufacturer wants the parts and raw materials for that days production to show up that morning, they use them to build only the product that they already have orders for, and then ship the finished products out that evening. Parts and materials waiting to be built into a finished product and finished products sitting in a warehouse waiting to be ordered is capital invested that's not making them any money and may not for some time.

Everybody wants to be fluid and "on demand" these days which is why parts are so hard to come by at times. The on demand concept can't accommodate a sudden increase in market demand. In addition, Savage likely doesn't even factor in the demand by outside vendors for replacement parts as their sole interest is their need for production parts. So when they order X amount for production and use or exceed that amount in production there's nothing left over to fill orders to 3rd party replacement parts retailers.

cwop
02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Yes Savage will only sell some parts to an ffl and in some cases a ffl-gunsmith only. The reason everyone is out is they have placed orders for 100ea and Savage wants to sell 1s and 2s. Sort of crazy but I guess its their business!!!

cwop
03-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Here is my story. I too have been on the hunt for boltheads Savage wont sell to an individual FFl only so I found Gun Shack fantastic service but I finally figured out I needed 223 boltheads for my project.

Savage would give me the part nrs. so finally tried Numerich and they have them. I have confirmation and should have them in the next few days I tried to get my FFl to order them from Savage but for some reason he got aggravated with them.

Numerich will ship what you need no FFl stuff!!

sjeccles
03-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Brownells had them back in stock two weeks ago

cwop
03-01-2016, 01:19 PM
On another note if you will look Brownells, Midway and others are out because they have placed huge orders and Savage wont ship that many out. Apparently they want to control the sales of these things. Sort of interesting seems if you were selling you would want to get them out!! This is what I was told by Brownells and Savage both. Strange!!