PDA

View Full Version : Bottom bolt release

Marine24
01-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Anything special about installing a bottom bolt release trigger guard?

SA DBM 4.40" spacing In a B&C tactical medalist stock.

New factory bottom metal and bottom bolt release trigger guard.

Everything goes in, although it is tight but either the bolt release won't depress far enough to allow the action screw to go all the way in or it depresses completely won't return to its normal position.

Spring was out of whack on the latter instance but can't figure how to adjust the trigger guard or bolt release.

I've tried it with the bolt in, removed or to the rear.

foxx
01-24-2016, 09:31 PM
If the stock is designed for top bolt release, then there is quite a bit of additional inletting necessary for the bottom bolt release action and trigger guard.

Marine24
01-24-2016, 09:38 PM
It is a bottom bolt release stock but fitting may be required.

foxx
01-24-2016, 10:19 PM
I have had issues with the button on bottom bolt release trigger guards on the Boyds' too. Need to make room for the button to slide back and forth freely, and maybe even the lever on the sear.

Hotolds442
01-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Smoke the lever on the sear with a candle and install the action into the stock. I think you'll find your problem. Both of the Boyd's stocks that I've fit to bottom bolt release actions have been tight in that area.

Marine24
01-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Smoke the lever on the sear with a candle and install the action into the stock. I think you'll find your problem. Both of the Boyd's stocks that I've fit to bottom bolt release actions have been tight in that area.

For my own education, what does smoking the lever on the sear do?

foxx
01-25-2016, 12:36 PM
The soot may leave marks on the stock where it is rubbing/needs clearance.

Marine24
01-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks. I was thinking this was some kind of black magic that required a trip to a professional, but this I can handle.