PDA

View Full Version : What would you suggest ?

Pages : [1] 2

wyo85
01-24-2016, 11:04 AM
I want to build a hunting rifle on a savage action with a 20 inch barrel. Would like to do a caliber not based on a 308 cartridge. This would be used for elk, moose, and deer . Would like to be able to use it out to 500 yards. Any suggestions that would work good with the 20 inch barrel .

hafejd30
01-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Long or short action? Long action I'd say 300 win/ultra, 338 rum, 7mm, etc etc etc. Short action is a bit limited on heavier hitting rounds for moose and elk. I'd suggest wsm/Saum such as 300 wsm. With only 20 inches of barrel your powder burning efficiency is cut way back.
Which means you'd want a faster burning powder to achieve the most velocity.

big honkin jeep
01-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Well I know you said not based on the .308 cartridge, but from the internet information I've seen, the .338 Federal is supposed to be very efficient and very similar to the 7 mag in performance with manageable recoil. It sounds like it would probably work well in a shorter rig and have enough oomph to do the job cleanly. You might check around and ask a couple of guys that have a .338 Federal what they think of them because I know there is often a pretty wide gap between information found on the internet and reality.
Wish I could give first hand info on such a setup but I haven't tried it. ... yet.
There does seem to be enough credible evidence to make me want to put something similar to that together as a "big stick, small package, whumper thumper carbine" one of these days.
I'm thinkin maybe an 18" or even 16" barrel though.
I have a 16" .308 for deer and it is amazing to hunt with and kills em dead as a sack of bricks at reasonable( realistic) ranges.

wyo85
01-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Looking for something that would have a fairly efficient burn in the short barrel. Short or long action would be ok.

yobuck
01-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Why would you eliminate so many good cartridges by not wanting a 308 based case?

wyo85
01-24-2016, 01:25 PM
I have two 308's, 260, 243, 22-250 now ,looking for something different. Actually was thinking of a 338-06 but was thinking a20 inch barrel might be a little short .

yobuck
01-24-2016, 03:13 PM
The only problem with having lots of good guns is that all but one have to stay home.

foxx
01-24-2016, 03:44 PM
^^^ That's the only problem, though.

yobuck
01-24-2016, 07:50 PM
But as the old saying goes, Beware of the man with one gun.
Because he no doubt knows how to use it.
And thats important.

psharon97
01-24-2016, 08:59 PM
I'd go with a 7mm winchester short magnum.

Jamie
01-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Why not do a 375 Ruger on a long action?

Hotolds442
01-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Both the Hog Hunter and the Alaskan Hunter were or are available in 338 Winchester Mag and 20" barrels. No animal on the continent will tell you that you're barrel is too short.
And contrary to popular belief, unburned powder in a short barrel is a myth.

yobuck
01-25-2016, 09:53 AM

No doubt less true today than years back with the powders available today.
I never tried it but had been told that laying paper or a sheet on the ground
in front of the barrel would show the unburnt powder.
All of the powder sold by Hodgen at one time was surplus powder. And frankly even they
werent exactly sure what some of it was.

foxx
01-25-2016, 10:09 AM
No doubt less true today than years back with the powders available today.
I never tried it but had been told that laying paper or a sheet on the ground
in front of the barrel would show the unburnt powder.
All of the powder sold by Hodgen at one time was surplus powder. And frankly even they
werent exactly sure what some of it was.

Not only that, but the question is, even if there are signs of unburnt powder exiting a short barrel, who is to say the same amount of unburnt powder wouldn't be leaving a longer barrel?
I suspect that, in some cases, long barrels will do not necessarily allow MORE powder to burn than will short barrels, even if some never burns.

darkker
01-25-2016, 02:52 PM
I have two 308's, 260, 243, 22-250 now ,looking for something different. Actually was thinking of a 338-06 but was thinking a20 inch barrel might be a little short .

I'm a bit off here. Either the 308's or the 260 is plenty for what you want to hunt; with a 20" pipe.
If you just need an excuse for another rifle, then take the Creedmoor, or 338 fed.

Lbass
01-25-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm a fan of the 35 whelen. I built a 375 whelen AI... not sure I gained anything but fireforming. To me they would be lacking at distance. The 338-06 deserves some thought.

hafejd30
01-25-2016, 10:13 PM
Both the Hog Hunter and the Alaskan Hunter were or are available in 338 Winchester Mag and 20" barrels. No animal on the continent will tell you that you're barrel is too short.

^ did not know this, thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday. Was told in years past that higher capacity cases with slower powders needed optimal barrel length to completely burn but Havnt actually tested myself. I do know I get less velocity with shorter barrel but that's an obvious proven trade off

big honkin jeep
01-25-2016, 10:51 PM
I know for years I heard and read that you had to have a 26" barrel for a 25-06. I do have first hand experience with that one and can say that a 22" sporter can be super duper accurate as well as kill deer dead as a box of rocks as far as I dare shoot at them.
I did a lot of research before cutting a .308 down to 16" for a little " compact carbine project. I was honestly a little reluctant at first. Knowing full well how much BS can be encountered on the internet and encountering mostly naysayers when I brought up the subject, I looked at the results that guys shooting striker pistols were getting with their even shorter barrels. Their results convinced me to go ahead.
I'll say my 16" .308 has become one of my favorite rigs and I'm so glad I did it. There isn't a whitetail in the woods that is going to tell me my barrel is too short. They just lay right down for a nap. Plenty accurate and plenty of range and whump and so much easier to carry and use.

Hotolds442
01-25-2016, 10:57 PM
I know for years I heard and read that you had to have a 26" barrel for a 25-06. I do have first hand experience with that one and can say that a 22" sporter can be super duper accurate as well as kill deer dead as a box of rocks as far as I dare shoot at them.
I did a lot of research before cutting a .308 down to 16" for a little " compact carbine project. I was honestly a little reluctant at first. Knowing full well how much BS can be encountered on the internet and encountering mostly naysayers when I brought up the subject, I looked at the results that guys shooting striker pistols were getting with their even shorter barrels. Their results convinced me to go ahead.
I'll say my 16" .308 has become one of my favorite rigs and I'm so glad I did it. There isn't a whitetail in the woods that is going to tell me my barrel is too short. They just lay right down for a nap. Plenty accurate and plenty of range and whump and so much easier to carry and use.
Why I love my Remington 600's!

yobuck
01-26-2016, 09:52 AM
No doubt its just me, but about the only reason i can think of for a short barrel like that
would be its easier moving it around inside a vehicle before you get it poked out the window.
Definatly a plus there, where say a 30" would be really tough. Especially in small vehicles like jeeps. lol