PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 pillar length

Remingtonman
01-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Was wondering what lenght to cut pillars for a savage 110 pillar job? Did you guys use guide screws or just your existing action screws when pillaring and bedding the stock in one step? thanks

scooterf79
01-23-2016, 12:21 PM
It wont be an exact length. It varies with different stocks. You can just measure it with dial calipers or something like that.
I use bolts from the hardware store with the heads cut off as guides. And you dont want to tighten the action screws while it sets up anyway, you want it to be a stress free bed and the tightening the screws could possibly bind.
Scooter

darkker
01-23-2016, 01:21 PM
^^^ +1

Remingtonman
01-23-2016, 03:12 PM
It wont be an exact length. It varies with different stocks. You can just measure it with dial calipers or something like that.
I use bolts from the hardware store with the heads cut off as guides. And you dont want to tighten the action screws while it sets up anyway, you want it to be a stress free bed and the tightening the screws could possibly bind.
Scooter

Copy that. May sound like a stupid question but will the pillars stay in contact with the action without falling out? I assume the bedding compound will hold them or I guess I could just turn the pillared action upside down and let gravity keep them in place.

scooterf79
01-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Yep, thats what you do....lay the action upside down, and put the stock down on the pillars/bolts. After that you turn it over and then electrical tape the action into the stock.
Scooter