PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointing results turned into happy results

geezerhood
01-22-2016, 04:36 PM
I went to a range that I haven't shot at much the other day. They used to have markers at the 50, 100, 200 300 yards, but they had been shot to bits. I forgot my rangefinder and the ground was saturated and very gooey so I followed the driest route out to where lots of targets had been previously placed, assuming it was 100 yards and proceeded to run my test loads.

I was not very happy with what I was seeing with my 338 Lapua but went ahead and shot the 6 different test load groups. When I was out retrieving my targets, the firing line now seemed to me to be more than 100 yards away (I was in a hurry and it was COLD when I set the targets), so I decided to try to verify the distance I had chosen just to be sure. It turned out that I was at about 175 yards, not 100. Ooops! What I thought were adequate .3 to 1+ MOA groups were "magically" transformed into significantly better results! (Sadly my forum name matches all too well it seems.)

scooterf79
01-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Lol...now thats funny! Good feeling finding out you're shooting better than ya thought.
Scooter

yew plucker
01-25-2016, 06:59 PM
We all love a happy ending!