PDA

View Full Version : The latest and greatest

Pages : [1] 2

doctnj
01-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Man Fred is about to get some business. Its going to be hard to keep using a savage that doesnt perform to the standard of stock savages now that this is coming out. Drake associates is creating the barrel for these rifles and also the chassis system. MSRP on a 338; 1600$. REALLY. Im going to spend half that just upgrading my old 110 to catch up. My 10ba creedmoor value crashed with the intro of the 6.5 CM this year..... well now so did the lapua. That heavy as hell 338 in the safe just became a door stop in its current configuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=craDrChpe4M

doctnj
01-22-2016, 08:23 AM
What he didnt go into is the barrel option. Drake associates is making a titanium bull barrel with steel tube. 38% weight reduction. See what I mean by door stop?

Dont know what that is going to do with harmonics. Im sure it will be back to the drawing board on all loads. Not to mention two differing types of metal with two different harmonics to work around. That could be tough. I have no idea.

WinnieTheBoom
01-22-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm curious how recoil is going to stack up being that much lighter.

I think the RPR is still going to edge the 10 BAs as far as popularity go, and people were skeptical about the Savage Lapua actions to begin with. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but I think attempts to fill a niche that isn't as prevalent as they might think.

doctnj
01-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Dont think I would want my 338 any lighter and was at some point planning on getting the action trued. So yeah I think Fred will be slammed with current owners that want their actions to move like the new ones.

The weight of the 338 rifle is a plus. Unless you are going on an elk hunt with a lot of walking. But you certainly dont need all that heavy metal on a creedmoor. Thats one of the reasons I went with having a custom built, oh and the trigger, oh yeah, and the barrel, uh and the action.

But Im also pretty sure they are going to sell the chassis system separately so you can upgrade your current stock. There is another video on youtube where savage is showing off a stock similar to the rpr. Let me find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-isviYxmxBo

There ya go. Compatibility with AR components. Looks like carbon fiber forearm. The down side to that particular stock is no adjustable cowl.

LongRange
01-22-2016, 09:29 AM
i think these will be a big hit myself...a $1207MSRP means about $1000(or less in store)...the RPRs have an MSRP of $1399 and sell for about 1K in store.

ive been saving for over a year to build a rifle off a deviant action(and pretty much have the $$ now)but before i do ill be looking hard at the new savage in CM.

yobuck
01-22-2016, 09:35 AM
They could have done without the shaved head (stud), and in his place had someone who could talk in a way he could be clearly understood.
I wasent really interested anyway, but would have listened had i been able to keep up with him.

LongRange
01-22-2016, 09:41 AM
doc did you check the prices on those chassis? i doubt at those prices they will be selling many especially when a fully pimped XLR is about half the cost.

WinnieTheBoom
01-22-2016, 09:44 AM
doc did you check the prices on those chassis? i doubt at those prices they will be selling many especially when a fully pimped XLR is about half the cost.

Exactly my thoughts.

LongRange
01-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Exactly my thoughts.

you can buy a surgeon or deviant action and an XLR for about the price of that chassis.

doctnj
01-22-2016, 09:55 AM
No I really didn't. I know the cadex stocks I put on my customs were very pricey. But it's a very nice , extremely well built chassis. I might pop for a whiskey 3 for my savage cm.

LR if I was in your position I would pick one of these up. Hopefully they will build enough so there isn't the gun broker crap to deal with. They're selling the rpr 3 to 400 over msrp just because they can. Remington apparently wasn't prepared for the demand.

I can see a total make over for my savage cm. I think that will be this year's project. Problem solved. There will be a ton of new chassis out in the next 30 days.

LongRange
01-22-2016, 10:02 AM
those chassis are right at $2300 bucks depending on where you look...and these rifles are going to have to be VERY nice for me to NOT buy and build off a deviant/XLR but i will hold off until i can see one first hand.

LoneWolf
01-22-2016, 10:14 AM
My only issue would still be with reliable feeding, extraction, and ejection. I can make a Savage run smooth with a light bolt lift, but the extractor and ejector design is where I have issues. Although this may be a good way to get into a Magnum set up since it wouldn't be as big of a requirement as it was for my tactical match set up.

I wouldn't go tossing your builds yet by any means!

doctnj
01-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Here is the cadex product line. I went with the field strike on the 260. And I would have to look it up but either the same or the field tactical on the cm build. Something is wrong with the website and you cant open the detail page on any of the chassis's. The top one on the page is msrp 2400 if I recall. Im just putting this up to compare to the chassis system savage is offering so you can compare the heft of the cadex line. I think they all claim to be the "go to" for special forces. Although somebody bought all of the inventory of cadex a couple months ago. I couldn't even get a rail. Had to wait for one to be built. I will say this , off topic, that rail fit the chassis already on my rifle like they were paired together before they left the factory.

LongRange
01-22-2016, 11:37 AM
My only issue would still be with reliable feeding, extraction, and ejection. I can make a Savage run smooth with a light bolt lift, but the extractor and ejector design is where I have issues. Although this may be a good way to get into a Magnum set up since it wouldn't be as big of a requirement as it was for my tactical match set up.

I wouldn't go tossing your builds yet by any means!

not at all just going to look first.

doctnj
01-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Ill be interested no matter what direction you go. But you have chosen the CM as the caliber?

LongRange
01-22-2016, 12:03 PM
no...if i go custom action(which im 99% sure ill do)the first barrel will be a 6mm and im leaning toward a 243AI/kreiger but still very interested in the 6x47 lapua as im reading 2000+ rounds and still accurate...i like the deviant over the surgeon action because i can get it in a right bolt left port which works very well for me when single feeding...trying to get this together in the next month or 2 to shoot some of the the local PRS matches they are having this year.

WinnieTheBoom
01-22-2016, 12:48 PM
243AI is going to be a barrel burner.

I'd go 6x47

LongRange
01-22-2016, 02:57 PM
243AI is going to be a barrel burner.

I'd go 6x47

yeah but it will cure my need for speed lol....im going to order the action with the 62 firing pin so i can run small rifle primers.

snowgetter1
01-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Any idea on what type of magazines will work with this new Savage. Hopefully they go the Magpul route and not just Savage magazines.

bearcatrp
01-22-2016, 10:59 PM
Wish more info was given on each model. Was looking for a RPR 6.5CM but now will wait to see how these are configured. My 10T is an awesome rifle. These stealth rifles look to be a winner.