PDA

View Full Version : Maximum available COAL of .223 Hog Hunter magazine?

acdieter
01-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Hi, everyone,

I'm considering a bolt-action .223, and was wondering if anyone out there might know how long cartridges can be loaded and still fit in the .223 Hog Hunter's internal box magazine. My .308 Hog Hunter's internal box magazine is plenty long- it'll fit 2.9" easily, which is nice because it has a long throat and I like to load longer bullets without taking up case space any more than necessary.

I'm hoping that the .223 Hog Hunter is similar. I would like to load Hornady's 75gr BTHP Match, Sierra's 77gr Match King, or some Berger 77gr OTM bullets long.

Thanks!

Acdieter

acdieter
01-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Anyone out there with a .223 Hog Hunter willing to take some calipers to their magazine?

Please?

Or, alternatively, if you know of an alternative solution to be able to achieve a repeating rifle that shoots .223 with heavier pills not crammed down into the case, but instead loaded long, with the bullet base only so far into the case as the neck/shoulder junction, I'm all ears...

Thanks!

Acdieter

Hotolds442
01-22-2016, 10:49 AM
One thing I don't have in the Savage line - a centerfeed 223 length action, otherwise I'd send you the measurements. I'd be willing to bet it's been discussed before though. I'll see what I can find.

ETA: It looks like 2.440" is the maximum COAL in the .223 mag box
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?29530-Length-of-rounds-in-a-Savage-DBM&highlight=223+magazine+length

acdieter
01-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Hotolds442, dude, you rock! :rockon: That is the perfect length!

Last night, I loaded my Hornady 75gr BTHP-Match into some previously fired Lake Citty 5.56 brass, putting the base of the bullet shank (just where the boat tail starts) right at the neck/shoulder junction. My calipers measured the over-all length at 2.410" BINGO.

Next will be to determine what the CBTO Jam length of this combination would be in a given .223 Hog Hunter...and then talk my better half into the purchase. ;-)

Basically ZERO recoil, inexpensive to feed, great practice to get and stay proficient without wearing out my .308, developing skills applicable to using a .308 at 1000 yards at the longest range I have local access to (300 yd).

Thanks again, Hotolds442!

Acdieter