PDA

View Full Version : Can a small shank handle super mag caliber

Pages : 1 [2]

efm77
07-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeah I think it can be done. I myself just like the large shank for the bigger cases. Just makes me feel better. But You're right about the Weatherby's. If they don't have any trouble out of theirs it's probably ok in the Savage as well. With it's smaller threads it's probably a tad stronger anyway. But since part of the chamber extends beyond the receiver ring I like the large shank better, just personal preference. Now as I said, with a shouldered barrel it makes no difference. But I wanted to keep the barrel nut on mine so I went with the large shank to have thicker chamber walls and also a heavier barrel. The large shank Savage barrel is almost as big as the diameter of the shoulder on a conventional barrel. There's only about 1/8" difference so I'd say it's plenty strong especially since Savage is using it to build the 338 Lapua's which is probably close to the size of the 378 Weatherby case. Remington also hasn't had any trouble with their ultra mags and their shank is roughly the same size as the Savage small shank but with more course threads making the root of it a little thinner yet. Now the Remington uses a shouldered barrel but there's something I've thought about. Part of the small shank is exposed on the Remington under the recoil lug. That part's not under the receiver ring and the recoil lug won't be strong enough to add any additional strength to the barrel shank. So if a Remington were going to let go I think that would be it's weakest point. Same for a Savage too and I also don't think the barrel nut would be strong enough to add any additional strength which again is why I like the larger shank. Sorry to ramble on, just thinking out loud more or less. As you have said it can and has been done and I haven't heard of any mishaps with the small shank when using the nut or with a conventional shoulder. I just like the extra meat around the chamber on the large shank with the portion that is in front of the receiver ring. Good luck with your 358STA, I've always liked 35's myself.

Sniper308
03-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Can a small shank barrel handle the more mag calibers. I think I asked this once but?? I am looking at building a 338-378 on a savage. If you google 338-378 savage, you will find a gun called a Wrath of God. Does anyone here have a reason that I cant use a small shank for this caliber..

thanks
nathan

Actually, it's not "a," it's "The"... as in "The Wrath of God." There's just one, and it's mine.

The barrel is a #9 contour from Douglas and the action was opened accordingly. The bolt head (the gun was originally a .300 Winchester Magnum) was opened on a lathe and the extractor was modified appropriately.

geargrinder
03-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Actually, it's not "a," it's "The"... as in "The Wrath of God." There's just one, and it's mine.

The barrel is a #9 contour from Douglas and the action was opened accordingly. The bolt head (the gun was originally a .300 Winchester Magnum) was opened on a lathe and the extractor was modified appropriately.

Just one?

Look a few post up where Neal said he's done it on a Savage action pistol. ;D

Sniper308
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Just one?

Look a few post up where Neal said he's done it on a Savage action pistol. ;D

I was referring to that specific rifle and the name I gave the rifle. I'm not disputing anyone else's ability to chamber a Savage for .338-378 Weatherby Magnum.

mopar440
04-08-2011, 02:46 PM
the 338 Rum and the 338 edge cost about the same used std action and bolt head brass is cheap if u want it
338 edge is faster than 338 lapua which uses custom bolt head and brass is pricey
the weatherby is that a weatherby its faster and cost more brass is pricey and is belted case

dies for the rum and edge use the same just add a 300 rum body die opened up for the edge
dies will be availbe for all with small difference in price over all

barrel cost same for all

factory ammo is avalible for rum and lapua its pricey

i believe the the edge and rum cost the same overall if want factory ammo go rum
if want the fastest weatherby
want great brass and factory tactical rifle go lapua

all are good rounds get what u want

lomfs24
04-09-2011, 12:38 AM
I too am considering this same build with a 338 Edge on a single shot action. And there is all this talk about "meat on the barrel/actions" etc... I was looking more at the bolt head, is it up to the task of taking that much punishment. I don't know enough about this so this is purely a question. What are the chances of bolt lugs and/or the lugs they mate into in the action failing. I would be more worried about a kaboom coming backwards towards me than a barrel coming apart. I have seen the aftermath of that happening on a custom build 50 BMG.
Both scenarios would be an ordeal to go through but steel going sideways would be much better than steel coming back across my face, neck and shoulder.

KRP
04-09-2011, 01:18 AM
338 edge is faster than 338 Lapua

As a general statement I don't believe this, on a rifle by rifle basis maybe.

The Weatherby is capable of going faster, it has the capacity, but in a comparison with equal brass life probably not by much.

358Hammer
04-09-2011, 12:05 PM
As you think and move into the purchase stage maybe one can evaluate or simplify things by putting the 300WSM into the mix.

The 300 WSM runs at the same pressures as the 300 RUM. The Edge uses the 300 RUM case. Though I am not running even near 65,000 pounds of pressure in my Edge I could as both the WSM and RUM cases were designed to function at higher pressures.

I might add for safety reasons that I would want a 4-5 inch tenon area on the breach end of the RUM barrel. One can safely get along with a good inch shorter tenon area with the WSM cases.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,41376.new.html#new

Neal

efm77
04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
"I might add for safety reasons that I would want a 4-5 inch tenon area on the breach end of the RUM barrel. One can safely get along with a good inch shorter tenon area with the WSM cases."

Pardon my ignorance. What exactly do you mean by tenon area?

358Hammer
04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
The threaded end of the barrel is what I am referring too. Leave the barrel at it's max thickness for the afore mentioned distance to handle the cartridge pressure before contouring down to the muzzle thickness.

Neal

efm77
04-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I see. In other words keep the barrel contour the size of the threaded shank for several inches before turning down to a smaller profile?