PDA

View Full Version : XM118LR will not fire in 110

nrar15
01-19-2016, 09:09 PM
I have a model 110 that will not fire XM118LR. No trouble with other ammo. sent the ammo to Federal they say I'm only getting .010-.016 on my primer strikes They fired my fired rounds in a DPMS and they all fired fine.. The action was T&Ted by Fred at Sharpshooter. firing pin protrusion was at.055 set it back to .040 but still no good. would setting it to .060 help the problem. I have 2000 rounds of this ammo and would like to get it to fire in this rife.

adammiddagh
01-19-2016, 10:24 PM
Since this is the only ammo that has acted up, I would take these steps.

1. Recheck headspace on rifle. If you do not have a headspace gauge, skip to step 2.

2. Measure to the shoulder of the XM118LR case, and compare to another factory load or headspace gauge. Then compare to a fired case. Basically make sure that the XM118LR does not have a sloppy fit in the chamber. You would need a bushing / sleeve / pipe to slide over the bullet to measure off the shoulder, whatever you use, just use it on all of them so you can accurately compare numbers.

3. Use a hand priming tool and make sure the primers are fully seated / bottomed out in the primer pocket. Pull the bullet first if you are concerned about re-seating the primer on a loaded round.

4. If you have not identified the problem at this point, I would suspect exceptionally hard primers. You could do a diy bolt lift kit / mod with a 38/357 case(to add ~1/8" extra compression on the firing pin spring). Or start looking for a new / stronger firing pin spring.

I do not have any experience with that ammunition; so if anyone else knows better, I would like to hear your ideas.

Balljoint
01-19-2016, 10:34 PM
Had much the same thing happened to me with LC118 Match in my 10 BA, wanted to use the LC to get it on paper then switch to my reloads had to use my reloads to get on paper didn't have enought to do a proper sight in.

nrar15
01-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info I'll give it a try. was just waiting to see what Federal had to say.

nrar15
01-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Had to set headspace with XM118LR case to make it work. Never had this problem before just would not work with headspace gauge. Factory ammo is a little tight but I can live with that as I don't usually shoot much factory ammo. Just picked up the XM118LR for a good deal. Thanks for the help.

adammiddagh
01-20-2016, 09:25 PM
Good to hear. Did you measure a difference? If so, how far off was it?

nrar15
01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
No did not measure them. thanks for your info.