PDA

View Full Version : New to me 110e

CITYSLICKER1
06-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new here and got some questions. I just got a new to me 110e in 30-06. My wife found it at a yard sale and bought it home for 130.00! The stock is near mint, the barrel is pretty rusted on the out side but bright and shiney on the inside. I found out it was made in 1987. The stock has no checkering on it. The bolt is nice and shiney but has some play in it when it is open. Am I correct in stating this is a older gun as its DOM is 1987? Does anybody have any info good or bad on this gun. Thanks Scott

hailstone
06-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Gota love a wife who buys such nice presents!! Should have her do more shopping for you. That was a steal even if there is some rust present as it can be cleaned up. Indirect blessing is its off the books i.e. no BATF form 4473. That alone may make it worth more in the future. Congratulations on the new toy. Enjoy!!!

ellobo
06-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Before you shoot it make sure the barrel is free floated (run a dollar bill down the channel). If not remove some wood where it touches. The tang should be free floated as well. I believe it is a wood stock from your post. If you have to remove wood oil the bare wood wheee you relieve it. This is a prime donor for a barrel swap to another caliber if you want but it sounds like a decent hunting rifle as is. If you need a scope mount make sure it is the right kind as I believe your rifle has a flat at the rear of the reciever. Does it have open sights on it? If so its a good woodland rifle, no scope needed.
Good wife you have there. Let us know how it shoots?

El Lobo

CITYSLICKER1
06-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes I am lucky my wife likes guns. She has bought me a few, Smith pre 17, smith 15 , marlin 1894c. Yes I'll keep her. She likes smith j frames! Here are some pics of the 110e. It does have sights and it has scope mounts with a flat back on the reciever. The reciever is a matte finish. I can't get a dollar bill under the barrel. Heck I havent had time to give it a good going over. oops Thanks for the info. She also took these pics.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy115/CITYSLICKER7/DSC01012.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy115/CITYSLICKER7/DSC01011.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy115/CITYSLICKER7/DSC01013.jpg

possum1
06-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Stock has some character !!

slaroy
06-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Holy smokes! That stock looks great.

where are all of those garage sale deals where I live!

ellobo
06-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Wow, what a great pc of wood. I have seen a birch stock like that on a model 99 I used to have. Dont even consideer getting rid of that. As forthe rust spots, a little oil and 4 X steel wool should take cae of them if they arnt too deep. Good luck, and free float that barrel and tang.
El Lobo

Uncle Jack
06-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Does your wife have a sister?

uj

CITYSLICKER1
06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Wow, what a great pc of wood. I have seen a birch stock like that on a model 99 I used to have. Dont even consideer getting rid of that. As forthe rust spots, a little oil and 4 X steel wool should take cae of them if they arnt too deep. Good luck, and free float that barrel and tang.
El Lobo

El Lobo, thanks. I'm going to try oil and 4x steel wool on the rust spots. I think that will improve the barrel and if not I guess there is the option of a new or different barrel. When you say free float the barrel what do you mean? Isn't the barrel floated already.Well I guess not as I can't get a bill under it . How do I float the barrel? I also need a front sight but what height?

kweeks10045
06-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Gotta love the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut! My suggestion would be to start off with some great conversation on this site. Find a 30-06 take off barrel on here from a Member, get the barrel nut wrench and action wrench from Fred at SSS, work with some of the guys here on free floating, and bedding, swap your own barrel and be hooked for life. I swear that you will amaze yourself and have more fun than should be allowed. Of course your wife may never buy you another rifle, but if you ask her to help, you find a hobby together. I did!