PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Firearms

WinnieTheBoom
01-19-2016, 11:49 AM
So I picked up an RPR over the weekend and it had to go back to Ruger for some warranty work. To say I was surprised when Ruger told me to "box it up, use the prepaid label we sent you, and drop it off at FedEx" was an understatement... I always thought that shipping had to go through licensed dealers.

Anyway, upon doing a little more research, I found that shipping firearms (without live ammunition, obviously) is legal "from individuals to to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, or licensed dealers (and return of the same)..." barring any local or state restrictions.

Can anyone confirm this? It'd be so much easier to just drop it off at FedEx and have it sent to that individual's FFL rather than having to pay the ~$50 transaction fee every time I want to sell/ship something.

tweiss3
01-19-2016, 11:54 AM
That is correct. You may ship directly to the manufacturer and the manufacturer may ship directly to you on a firearm you already own.

WinnieTheBoom
01-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Got it.

What about firearms being sold to other individuals? As long as it is sent from the seller to an FFL for the transfer to be completed on their end, that's still legal, correct?

clintsrv
01-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Selling to individuals is just as easy. Some states allow rifles to be shipped in state from individual to individual. No FFL needed.
All out of state sales must be shipped to FFL for transfer.
Its up to the FFL holder to decide to accept from private individuals. Some won't and require FFL to FFL shipping.

All pistols are under different laws for shipping.

WinnieTheBoom
01-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I knew handguns were different than long guns, but I was more concerned with shipping receivers and such.

Stockrex
01-20-2016, 11:43 AM
FYI
Not all fedex sites will accept firearms. Ask first pls

WinnieTheBoom
01-20-2016, 12:37 PM
I think it has more to do with local/state restrictions... The one that I use does either way.

DrThunder88
01-20-2016, 02:52 PM
FedEx stores might not allow it, but their shipping hubs should so long as it's not illegal in that area.

yew plucker
02-28-2016, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE]I found that shipping firearms (without live ammunition, obviously) is legal "from individuals to to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, or licensed dealers (and return of the same)..." barring any local or state restrictions./QUOTE]

That is correct. You may ship a firearm to an FFL anywhere in the US. You may also MAIL, via US Postal Service, a LONG GUN to an FFL in any state. You may ship a firearm via common carrier to a non-FFL in your state. You may also MAIL a long gun to a non-FFL in your state. Don't ship ammunition through the US Mail. Don't ever ship a handgun through the US Mail.

All of the above is according to Federal Law. Some states have stupid laws such a magazine bans, and cosmetic feature prohibitions. Be careful not to get cross with those.