PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a Build off of a Stevens 200 Long Action

TORCHRIDER
01-18-2016, 12:49 PM
I have a Stevens 200 Staggered Feed Long Action with blind magazine, currently chambered in 300 Win Mag.
I am looking to build another caliber/cartridge off of this action.
Does anyone have any idea which cartridges this magazine will support without modification?
Are the magazines/followers easy to change out on these for other calibers?

jpdown
01-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Are you sure it is a stagger feed? I thought Savage added the 200 to the Stevens models when they converted them to center feed actions. Does the magazine stay attached to action when you remove the stock? If the magazine box is attached to the action, then it is a stagger feed. If when you remove the stock, the magazine is attached to the stock it is a center feed. What caliber's are you interested in? With a bolt head change (0.473"), there are a number of LA cartridges that will feed from you current magazine.

TORCHRIDER
01-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Are you sure it is a stagger feed? Does the magazine stay attached to action when you remove the stock? What caliber's are you interested in? With a bolt head change (0.473"), there are a number of LA cartridges that will feed from you current magazine.

The magazine does stay attached to the action when removed from the stock. I am not sure of caliber at this point. Still considering. maybe a 6.5mm of some sort? Is there a list of long and short action calibers that will feed from this magazine somewhere? I though because it was a 300 Win Mag, that only similar sized cases like the 7mm REM Mag, 338 Win Mag and others might feed?

WinnieTheBoom
01-18-2016, 02:11 PM
It's definitely a s/f, and as far as calibers go, the sky is the limit really. Pick the diameter bullet you want to shoot first and see what case suits your fancy. You have very few limitations with any of the standardized calibers (.300 WM and under) and even some of the more common wildcats... 6.5mm or 7mm would probably be my choice, but depending on what you want to do with this rifle/round, pick something and run with it.

If you're wanting to do as little as possible (i.e. put a new barrel on it and go), and it is in fact a .300 win mag, you'll likely have to stay within the belted mag family or something that fits on the .532" bolt head. Maybe like a 30-338 win mag? I mean you have so many options. Otherwise, a simple bolt head swap and you can do whatever your heart desires.

jpdown
01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
I don't see any reason it would not properly feed a 30-06 or 284 based cartridge by changing the bolt head to a .473 face. You may need to adjust the mag lips. Then you could go with the 6.5 Swede, 6.5x284 Norma or 6.5-06AI.

vashooter
01-25-2016, 10:55 AM
Let me know if you want to sell the 300 Win Mag bolt head if you decide to go to a non magnum caliber. Also could do a swap as I will have a (0.473") L/A bolt head and 270 barrel from my next build for swap.