PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 target - Nightforce scope mount issue

bf3t6hk
01-18-2016, 09:47 AM
I purchased a savage 12 target 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and a Nightforce PB 12x42x56. This is my first target / competition rifle. I am trying to get the rifle setup for barrel breakin. I have an EGW Savage HD 20 moa mount and Nightforce 30mm steel rings 1.375. I have about 1/4" clearance between the barrel and the widest part of the scope. The problem is when trying to bore site at about 25 yds before taking it to the range I am about a foot high with the scope cranked all the down. I have a set of weaver mounts that I tried with the same results. My thought was that I have the wrong height rings. I bought the scope,mounts, and rings from a popular online company giving them the rifle model. Additionally eye relief is suppose to be 3-4". I wear glasses and for me to get the complete sight picture I need to get 2" away (front of glasses to front of scope). I would appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Jeff

WinnieTheBoom
01-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Probably a silly question but is your base installed correctly? It's really easy to get it backwards. Also, take what online retailers tell you with a grain of salt... Best way to do it is to measure yourself. When I'm not sure, I'll actually order 2 sets of rings and then return the set that I don't use.

bf3t6hk
01-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Thanks. I took it all apart for the fifth time and put it back together and did a 25' bore sight and I am good. Something must have been funky with the base. I did try reversing the base and mounting the rings. I belong to an indoor and outdoor range hopefully tomorrow I can do the barrel break-in in the indoor rifle range. I have been dying to shoot this gun. I want to use this for the groundhog competition shoots starting in spring at my gun club and shoot some steel on a friend's farm. Thanks again

6.5savageguy
01-18-2016, 10:32 PM
It's been my experience when bore sighting, as in sighting through the barrel and trying to dial the cross hairs to that point, up on the turret brings the crosshair down. Down on the turret brings the cross hair up. Left on the turret moves the crosshair right and right on the turret moves the crosshair left.

I know it seems wrong but it works for me.

bf3t6hk
03-05-2016, 08:08 AM
Sorry for the delay. I been away from the forum. You nailed it Savageguy. I removed the base and the rings and remounted everything. I had the elevation turret all the way down with same results. Out of frustration I started cranking up and all was good. I did the Savage barrel breakin and now I am working on my precision rest and rear bag setup to get ready for spring groundhog shoot competition. I have about 75 rds through the rifle. I been shooting 140 Amax factory loads but plan to reload in the future. I love this gun. I changed the front bag on my Caldwell precision rest to a wide bag and hope I can get by with this for now. Most of the guys at the club shoot custom rifles and expensive brenchrests. I also have 120 Amax factory loads to try before I set the zero stop on the Nightforce.

Texas10
03-05-2016, 10:11 AM
I just bought an EGW 20 moa base for my model 12 and posted a question about mounting so as not to possibly mount it backwards.

I am a novice, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. But it's my understanding that the purpose of a 20 moa base is to set your scope to an artificially low point of aim (muzzle pointed upwards) so you have to screw your elevation turret nearly all the way down (reticle moves up) to get zero at 100 yds. This gives you the most UP adjustment for long range shooting.

What percentage of your total MOA adjustment is available once you have a 100 yd zero?

With my Vortex Viper with 50 moa total adjustment, I should have 25 up and 25 down with a zero moa base and 45 up and 5 down with a 20 moa base. Of course, I don't actualy get 50 moa out of the scope, I only get about 47.5 but I think you get my drift.

bf3t6hk
03-05-2016, 06:24 PM
With the Nightforce I get 40 moa elevation and 40 windage. With the 20 moa base @100 yd zero I get about 23 moa up and 17 down.

bf3t6hk
03-05-2016, 07:16 PM
And an addition 20 moa up and 10 moa down with the np-r2 reticle.

Jamie
03-05-2016, 07:44 PM
It's been my experience when bore sighting, as in sighting through the barrel and trying to dial the cross hairs to that point, up on the turret brings the crosshair down. Down on the turret brings the cross hair up. Left on the turret moves the crosshair right and right on the turret moves the crosshair left.

I know it seems wrong but it works for me.

No, that doesn't seem wrong as the markings are designed to help you move bullet impact. If you cross hairs are above your bore line (also point of impact) then you would move "up" to bring your bore line (impact) up when looking at your target.