PDA

View Full Version : Is a standard savage long action suitable for 338 rum?

grouse
01-18-2016, 12:14 AM
Thinking of swaapping barrels on my 300 win mag for 338RUM. Is this action suitable for this chambering? Ive read the 338 edge and lapua should not be used on standard actions.

upSLIDEdown
01-18-2016, 04:00 AM
Yes. The edge is fine as well. I own one. The Lapua, however, is not.

WinnieTheBoom
01-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Is it a small or large shank?

If it's the former, I would not advise you to do it personally, though plenty have done it without any issues. I prefer to play it safe than sorry, but to each his own. If it's a large shank, however, you wouldn't have any problems with the RUM or Edge. Guess it's just one of those things that if Savage saw enough of a discrepancy between the small and large shank to move their WSM and RUM chamberings to the larger action, I'm not asking any questions.

grouse
01-14-2018, 04:31 PM
I found a large shank staggered feed action for this build, but I am not sure if the staggered feed magazine will be long enough. Anyone have experience?

grouse
01-23-2018, 11:19 PM
anyone?

Hotolds442
01-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Long enough for what?
225 Hornaday SST’s? Yes.
300 Berger Elite Hunters? Probably not.

The standard staggered magazine box is too short for the Ultra mag series and not easily lengthened. If you need a repeater, a Wyatt’s box on a Remington 700 action is an easier alternative. However, a large shank staggered magazine box action more than likely features the factory “extended” magazine box, which was installed on the early Savage RUM rifles. That box will be the longest factory magazine box Savage made for the long action, and most likely will need little modification, if any, to run the RUM length cartridges in a Savage.

squirrel_slayer
01-24-2018, 08:12 PM
if you don't mind making it a single feed you can get away with any long action small or large shank. .338 edge included. one day i'd like to do a 375 BME (box monkey express) single fed of course shooting 350 smk's