DeadWoodDan
01-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Savage Model 12
.308Win heavy profile 1:12twist
Right hand load, right hand eject , single shot
Benchrest 20MOA mount
Savage Laminate BR stock
used Less than 300rounds

Have looked on and off for awhile wanting something to shot longer distance and become a better re loader/shooter. This came up and wife surprised me for me b-day, and I mean surprised me; It would be awhile before I even found the funds let alone justify a purchase like this. Knew the .308 would cover alot of options, even though not being dedicated to one distance.

Still looking at optics and dealing with that decision and choices. I don't think the better half realized after making the purchase how much more of an investment would be needed. At this point she is on board and wiling to find the funds to get it up and shooting "almost" as much as I. Really want something I can use from 100yds to as far as 600yds.

Have only read about all the BR techniques in reloading so will have many questions to see how far I want to go with making / finding the perfect load.

Kevin

pepper savage 111
01-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Congrats on your gift. Sounds like your wife is a keeper.

As far as optics, might I suggest the Vortex Viper PST in the 6-24x50 power. I love mine and I don't think you can find more bang for your buck that comes with an unconditional warranty. It tracks perfectly and the 24 power will be plenty for your distance.

DeadWoodDan
01-17-2016, 05:38 PM
pepper,

We are looking at the Vortex line and most likely getting a Vortex Viper HS-T if not the PST. Midway has some good sales going on.

pepper savage 111
01-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Good call. I guess if you're not going to be using the scope to estimate range then a second focal plane scope will suit suit you well. And if you do use it to find range then you can always just max out the magnification. Good call though. Your head is in the right place.

The most important thing is that you enjoy your rig. Getting into all of the bells and whistles can be a bit mind numbing.

Texas10
01-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Wife surprised me with a book for Christmas, Mic McPherson's "Metallic Cartridge Loading, pursuit of the perfect cartridge" available on Amazon.

What I like about the book is that he explains the "why" behind the "what".

For instance, one contributor here is always promoting the idea that you should load by volume, not by weight for better consistency, and this confused me because ALL publishers list charges by weight, not volume. Of course, you have to adjust your powder dropper by checking against a scale, but Mic writes that the real advantage to dropping a charge is the way it packs into the cartridge, not the load weight itself, and it is the packing density consistency that results in the greater accuracy and shot to shot consistency.

I began using his recommended method when loading a cartridge full so as to avoid a slightly compressed charge situation, and had immediate positive results in group size.

Check it out. I think you'd find it very informative.

BTW: I have a Viper HS-T 6-24 X 50 on my model 12. Not bad for the price, if you can find it on sale. I paid $389 for mine, on sale at Cabelas last fall. They went fast at that price. Got there 2 hours after they opened their doors and got that last one they had.

DeadWoodDan
01-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Texas can't say that I've found one for that price, but if I did would just on a SFP. Thanks for the book advice, will check it out, Have to ask are you using a drop tube so not to use a condensed load?

Texas10
01-19-2016, 11:45 AM
If by "condensed" you mean compressed then no, I am weighing my charges and swirling them into the case and trying to seat the bullet so that it doesn't put a compressive load on the charge. I don't produce enough of one particular load to justify the set up time for dropping a charge vs weighing. If I were shooting hundreds of rounds a weekend, i would probably have to work on developing the skills and methods required to drop a charge properly, but I don't see myself as ever having to worry about that.

I have a Hornaday powder dropper, and a beam scale. Nothing fancy…. I just prefer to use the scale.