PDA

View Full Version : Where to find action for project?

CDG306
01-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know a good placeto find a used action? I have looked on Gunbroker and the other sales sights. Spent a few hours on Google to no avail. I'm looking for a long action for a .338 build I have in my head.

03mossy
01-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Right here! Become a paid member on this site and it gIves you access to the classifieds. Best $15 you'll ever spend.

CDG306
01-14-2016, 12:26 AM
I'll give it a try.

YDKDY
01-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Check pawn shops. I can usually find a few long action rifles in the $275-$350 range.

Russmerle
01-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Long actions are hard to come by without buying the whole rifle... And you should check into the safety of building a 338 Lapua off a savage long action. I've read on this forum (here say) that the factory savage 338 Lapua actions are built a little heavier that the average long action... See the quote below. That was enough information for me to want to call savage to see if it's safe to build a 338 Lapua off a normal long action... Good luck and please share any interesting info you learn during your build!

"Yes Savage makes one themselves on the large shank (1.125 or 1 & 1/8"). That barrel shank size is large enough. However, the action itself isn't the same as the normal Savage Actions. It has a smaller ejection port for more stiffness, different heat treatment for added strength, as well as thicker locking lugs and thicker lug recesses for additional strength. Some have built their own on standard 110 actions but most will advise you that it isn't wise."

Russmerle
01-14-2016, 01:26 AM
Here is a link to the thread I found interesting. I'm thinking the 338 Lapua is just a bit much on the standard long action.
http://www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-25353.html

GaCop
01-14-2016, 07:57 AM
For safety's sake, I wouldn't try it on a standard long action.

WinnieTheBoom
01-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Long actions are hard to come by without buying the whole rifle... And you should check into the safety of building a 338 Lapua off a savage long action. I've read on this forum (here say) that the factory savage 338 Lapua actions are built a little heavier that the average long action... See the quote below. That was enough information for me to want to call savage to see if it's safe to build a 338 Lapua off a normal long action... Good luck and please share any interesting info you learn during your build!

"Yes Savage makes one themselves on the large shank (1.125 or 1 & 1/8"). That barrel shank size is large enough. However, the action itself isn't the same as the normal Savage Actions. It has a smaller ejection port for more stiffness, different heat treatment for added strength, as well as thicker locking lugs and thicker lug recesses for additional strength. Some have built their own on standard 110 actions but most will advise you that it isn't wise."

Here is a link to the thread I found interesting. I'm thinking the 338 Lapua is just a bit much on the standard long action.
http://www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-25353.html

For safety's sake, I wouldn't try it on a standard long action.

EDIT: Saw OP's other thread... This is sound advice, please do not attempt to shoehorn a Lapua into a standard long action. You would have a hell of a time trying to find a small shank prefit barrel for it anyway, lol.

The Lapua should be built ONLY on a Lapua action. Don't try to do it otherwise. The Edge I would argue the same, though some people have built them on standard large shank actions with fine results. I just wouldn't suggest it or do it personally.

When you start getting into .338 Federal, .338-06, etc., then you can start looking at using standard small shank long actions without much of a concern for strength/integrity.

Russmerle
01-14-2016, 10:00 AM
I don't believe he specified which type of .338 build he had in mind because there are quite a few variations, but this is sound advice nonetheless.

The Lapua should be built ONLY on a Lapua action. Don't try to do it otherwise. The Edge I would argue the same, though some people have built them on standard large shank actions with fine results. I just wouldn't suggest it or do it personally.

When you start getting into .338 Federal, .338-06, etc., then you can start looking at using standard small shank long actions without much of a concern for strength/integrity.

Excellent point; my apologies for... jumping the gun :rolleyes:. I wanted to make a budget Lapua until I found some of this info on it. Settled for the 300WM build.

WinnieTheBoom
01-14-2016, 10:12 AM
You were actually correct... I just noticed he posted in the classifieds wanting to buy an action for a Lapua build, so you were spot on. People want to build .338 Lapuas because it's a big bad round (I know because I went through it too), but fail to realize the cost associated with doing so.

The rifle itself, as shown by the 110 FCP/BA models, is actually probably the easiest/cheapest part to obtain. But then you factor in a scope worthy of sitting on top of said rifle, the cost of ammo/reloading, and barrel life for a rifle that most people are probably looking to shoot 100 yards most days? It's just silly.

The 300 WM is a fine round. Most shooters won't use it to even half of its full potential, yet it's easy to fall into the trap of 'wanting more.' Factor in how much cheaper it is to shoot the "smaller" WM and it should be a no-brainer decision for most.

Russmerle
01-14-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm glad I went the way of the 300WM. I get to shoot it tomorrow :cool:

OP, If you are interested in the Savage 338 Lapua, maybe look into the hunter safety program (similar to LEO discounts). Savage used to sell firearms at a very high discount to certified hunter safety instructors and a couple instructors at the range said they saved big on some high ticket rifles. Just a possible avenue to save you some money.

Russ

yobuck
01-14-2016, 11:50 AM
You were actually correct... I just noticed he posted in the classifieds wanting to buy an action for a Lapua build, so you were spot on. People want to build .338 Lapuas because it's a big bad round (I know because I went through it too), but fail to realize the cost associated with doing so.

The rifle itself, as shown by the 110 FCP/BA models, is actually probably the easiest/cheapest part to obtain. But then you factor in a scope worthy of sitting on top of said rifle, the cost of ammo/reloading, and barrel life for a rifle that most people are probably looking to shoot 100 yards most days? It's just silly.

The 300 WM is a fine round. Most shooters won't use it to even half of its full potential, yet it's easy to fall into the trap of 'wanting more.' Factor in how much cheaper it is to shoot the "smaller" WM and it should be a no-brainer decision for most.

This sums it up pretty much exactly. If your bag is shooting at rock ledges a mile or more away, then having a large 338 to do it with is
the way to go. Even better, go for a .375. But do those things on large custom actions that were designed for the purpose. The Lapua and
other cartridges in that size range arent all that most people think they are. I own a very large 338 on a custom action i have specificaly for
those rare oppurtunities for a very long poke at a deer. In 5 seasons weve killed exactly one deer with it that could have just as easily
been taken with a 300 ultra mag. Actually in my case the gun was already built, all i needed was a new barrel, and it didnt make any difference which one i chose.
This year for the entire 2 week PA season it sat in a corner at the camp. Didnt even get loaded into my jeep.
Reason being conditions were very poor for the whole season. Not even good enough to stretch out a 308 let alone a much larger cartridge.
Who knows, next year could be the same way as for conditions. Or it could be the opposite and we have so much snow you cant even see the bullet hits.

Russmerle
01-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Here is a great start to a build if you are up for it... Just search for "Savage Arms 112 Magnum Target 338 Lapua". You can probably get it for around $950. Have a choice of chassis/mag system, etc...