PDA

View Full Version : Case sizing lube.

Pages : [1] 2 3

fgw_in_fla
01-13-2016, 01:05 PM
In the past, using Imperial has worked fine. After a day of shooting I would have 20, maybe 30 cases to clean & size for reloading. As of late, it's common to come home with 80 to 100 cases that need sizing.

Imperial, although a good product, takes too long.

What's available to help speed things up a little?
Maybe a little less labor intense?

Something a little cheaper, too.

It used to therapeutic, relaxing, almost fun when there was only a few cases. Now its more like work.

XL105
01-13-2016, 01:10 PM
LongRange told me use this. It's Great
99% pure isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin as my sizing lube mixed in a spray bottle at 12oz of iso to 1oz of lanolin.

fgw_in_fla
01-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Yeah, that recipe has been around here for a while.

I assume to alcohol evaporates leaving the lanolin behind to provide lubricant for the case?

How about inside the case neck?

yobuck
01-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Over the years ive tried a variety of lubes. They all worked to some degree of satisfaction.
When the sprays came about friends told me i was missing the boat by not using them due to being quick and easy.
I tried them for a year or so before deciding i didnt like quick and easy. I still have a can i cant give away.
Since, ive been using the Imperial wax and feel its a good choice for me. A very small ammount on a finger tip
applied to an inside edge of the case mounth and neck/shoulder area is enough. A can will last me for several years.
I do notice if others use it there is a noticabe difference in the ammount they use based on whats left in the can.

upSLIDEdown
01-13-2016, 01:45 PM
99% pure isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin as my sizing lube mixed in a spray bottle at 12oz of iso to 1oz of lanolin.

This is the recipe I use. I use ISO-Heet for the alcohol, because it's 99% iso, and it's easier to find. The liquid lanolin I picked up on Amazon in a 4oz bottle. ISO-Heet comes in 12oz bottles, so it's pretty simple to mix. The 99% tends to dissolve the lanolin a lot better than 91% does.

I usually stand my cases up on a piece of cardboard and spray them from an above angle on all sides. I've found the key is making sure you give the alcohol ample time to evaporate. I then tumble again to remove it, because I tend to go heavy on the lube to make sure I don't have any stuck cases.

WinnieTheBoom
01-13-2016, 02:45 PM
I use the Cabela's brand spray lube and it works perfectly fine. I think it was like $8. Light coating in the case holder, FL size, throw 'em in the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes, maybe the tumbler if I'm feeling ambitious, and trim. Prep is by far the least fun part of reloading, so I've done everything I can do make it as quick and painless as possible.

XL105
01-13-2016, 04:56 PM
I bought a bottle of each mixed them in a 12oz bottle. Just that bottle will last Long time.

LongRange
01-13-2016, 05:45 PM

I assume to alcohol evaporates leaving the lanolin behind to provide lubricant for the case?

yes.

How about inside the case neck?

a hand full of #6 or #8 shot in a small container with dry graphite...use a soft nylon brush or just dip the necks..make sure there are no BB's in the case as they play havoc on decapping pins and rods....also if you can buy carbide expanders/buttons you dont need inside neck lube.

ive used most every lube you can think of and probably a few most ppl havent and the liquid lanolin is by far the best and easy to clean off.

darkker
01-13-2016, 05:58 PM
LongRange told me use this. It's Great

I either use Lee's case lube, or this-ish. Somehow I ended up with a few bottles of Everclear, so That plus lanolin.
I've used straight lanolin, but you only need a LIIIIITTTTTTTLLLLLLEEEEE bit.

Robinhood
01-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Lees is not bad. Imperial and chapstick work about the same.

BillPa
01-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Imperial, although a good product, takes too long. What's available to help speed things up a little?

Put it on a RCBS lube pad. Roll, size, repeat. You can even lay five or so side to side on the pad then roll-lube them all at the same time if you want.
Bill

fgw_in_fla
01-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Over the years ive tried a variety of lubes. They all worked to some degree of satisfaction.
When the sprays came about friends told me i was missing the boat by not using them due to being quick and easy.
I tried them for a year or so before deciding i didnt like quick and easy. I still have a can i cant give away.
Since, ive been using the Imperial wax and feel its a good choice for me. A very small ammount on a finger tip
applied to an inside edge of the case mounth and neck/shoulder area is enough. A can will last me for several years.
I do notice if others use it there is a noticabe difference in the ammount they use based on whats left in the can.

I have a feeling I'm headed the same way.
Everyone I've talked to says the same thing about sprays. Quick, easy & messy.
I guess it's time to experiment.
Starting with a alcohol / lanolin based concoction.

Thanks for all the replies.

LongRange
01-13-2016, 10:38 PM
I have a feeling I'm headed the same way.
Everyone I've talked to says the same thing about sprays. Quick, easy & messy.
I guess it's time to experiment.
Starting with a alcohol / lanolin based concoction.

Thanks for all the replies.

just remember the mix is 12 to 1 don't believe the 16 to 1 or what ever other ratios there are.

fgw_in_fla
01-13-2016, 10:58 PM
Gotcha.
Keep in mind, a typical run of brass for prep is seldom less than 25 - 30 pcs.

I thought about buying new brass, load, shoot & throw it away so I could buy more but the stuff is hard to find & I think the 'lil woman may have something to say about it.
She can be a real pain in the bopkiss sometimes.

JASmith
01-13-2016, 11:26 PM
I use a single stage press and Imperial.

My lube procedure consists of running my thumb overvthe can, rubbing the thumb over the tips of all but my pinky finger then run them over the case as I pick it up and run and insert into the shell holder. There is a pass into a small pile of graphit and an inside neck brush.

Sounds complicated but it takes only about half again as much time as picking the cas and putting it directly into the shall holder.

eddiesindian
01-13-2016, 11:49 PM
Hornady One Shot spray aerosol dry case lube.

its fast.....no oil residue...none what so ever.
Ive been reloading for 35years and I wished id of started using it along time ago.

fgw_in_fla
01-14-2016, 12:37 AM
Hornady One Shot spray aerosol dry case lube.

its fast.....no oil residue...none what so ever.
Ive been reloading for 35years and I wished id of started using it along time ago.

Much over-spray?

Or is it no muss - no fuss?

That's where I worry about sprays. Can I spray 40 or 50 cases or does the stuff dry & need reapplication?
Maybe toss a bunch in a gallon size baggie and do the "shake-n-bake routine with the bag?

keeki
01-14-2016, 05:41 AM
Been using mink oil for years.

GaCop
01-14-2016, 08:26 AM

How about inside the case neck? Inside the case necks, use mica. it can be gotten from Midway USA and probably other companies. I bought my jar probably 15 years ago and I'm still using it with plenty left in the jar. Powdered graphite will also work.

eddiesindian
01-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Much over-spray?

Or is it no muss - no fuss?

That's where I worry about sprays. Can I spray 40 or 50 cases or does the stuff dry & need reapplication?
Maybe toss a bunch in a gallon size baggie and do the "shake-n-bake routine with the bag?
Try it. You have my word. You,ll never go back. no mess. no sticky oil residue. one application. tumble your brass 1st, spray the cases along with the inside of the die......you,ll be amazed as to how well it works. you can even load rifle loads progressively if you so wish.
1st time I used it I had to pull my mic out and see if infact it did resize the dam case. it felt like it didn't resize it. it was too easy.