PDA

View Full Version : Which Rings and Base(which scope?)

jray57
06-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I have narrowed down my choice of scopes to two. I am particularly leaning to the Vortex Crossfire model CRF250AOHT 30mm tube 50mm objective(the other is a Mueller MU83244TD). The base I am looking at is a EGW one piece. First question is do I need a 20moa base? It will be going on a Model 12 single shot action with a Shilen varmint contour barrel chambered in 6XC. I only plan on shooting out to 400 yds or so. The next question is what height Burris rings do I need for the objective to clear the barrel. Any insight on the rings/base question or comments on the choice of scope from those who have used them will be appreciated.

rjtfroggy
06-26-2010, 08:38 AM
First if you are not shooting past 400 yards a 0moa base should be more than adequate.
As for rings Burris Zee rings medium height should do it,If you use the XTR rings I think the lows would work. There is a chart on the Burris web site for ring fitment, may have to hunt around but it is there.

oldguy
06-26-2010, 12:57 PM
I use Burris signature high rings on my savage 12 BTVS, Nikon scope 5-20x44, very little clearance under bell, set up gives me good cheek weld, I would thing the Muller is close to the Nikon not sure on vortex.

tammons
06-26-2010, 01:13 PM
EGW zero is fine.

You only need a 20 moa scope base of you are shooting long distance and dont have enough internal scope adjustment to get there.

I like burris extreme rings.

geargrinder
06-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I use Burris signature high rings on my savage 12 BTVS, Nikon scope 5-20x44, very little clearance under bell, set up gives me good cheek weld, I would thing the Muller is close to the Nikon not sure on vortex.

What base are you using? Most EGW's are quite high to begin with.

rjtfroggy
06-27-2010, 07:19 AM

A 44mm bell should fit with plenty of clearance using medium rings. lows if using XTR rings.
Nikon vs Mueller to my untrained eye Nikon wins and yes I do own both and use both makes. 3-9 team Primus on my AR and 8.5-25 on my model 12 both 223's.

jray57
06-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I will be using the EGW #2100 rail. The fellow I talked with at EGW told me that their low rings, which measure .850 from base to center would work fine. I can't find a height on the Burris Signature rings but he seemed to think that the medium would work. Would anyone happen to have that measurement for the Signature rings?

jray57
07-01-2010, 07:59 AM
I talked with burris and got the heights for the signature zee 30mm rings. what I was told was med-.270 high-.395 x-high-.650. Am a little concerned because the heights listed on the thread in optics FAQ gives different measurements. According to my calculations based on the information given me by Burris and the specs given for the objective diameter on the Crossfire scope I should be close with the med rings and the EGW base. Anyone with the med Signature Zee 30mm rings who wants to chime in with an actual hands-on measurement please do.