PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms Rifle Scopes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Russmerle
01-29-2016, 11:43 PM
I think they are great hunting scopes and target scopes on budget target rifles. Military Arms Channel guy did his 1k yard challenge under $1k and it performed well. I forgot to mention I also have one on my Remington .223 coyote gun and really have enjoyed it both of my platforms. It does not compare, however, to my Leupold Mark4 or Trijicon Accupoint. Just as accurate but not as clear or bright.

Txhillbilly
01-30-2016, 10:21 PM
I put one of the PA FFP scopes on one of my AR's. I have a Bushnell AR223 scope and a Sightron SII scope on two other AR's.
The Primary Arms glass runs in last place with these 3 scopes to my eyes. The Bushnell is bighter,and the Sightron is clearer edge to edge at any range you look at with them. The turrets on the PA scope are pretty good,and it tracks well,the Bushnell turrets feel like your turning a sponge,the Sightron has covered turrets with 1/8th moa clicks,so I usually leave it be after it is zeroed.

For what it cost,the Primary Arms FFP scope is a good buy,but it's still a lower tier optic.

Russmerle
01-30-2016, 11:31 PM
My PA 4-14x mil dot has remained solid for a couple years now. I keep sub MOA with factory precision ammo and can remember the few times it spread to an MOA on me. If you want to upgrade later, it can be swapped to another rifle but it is one of those that I'll keep around until it craps the bed. I have read that their warranty is not that good on their own website. That being said, if it doesn't break what does that really matter? I'm going to sell my remmy 700 .223 and keep the PA off that because the PA to me is worth more that the remmy ;)

Vanilla Gorilla
02-20-2016, 04:58 AM
I have 3 of their scopes. I have the 1x-6x 5.56/.308 for my ar-15, the 1x-6x 300blk version for my blk, and the 4-14x44 FFP for my Rem 700 .308 and love them all. I don't think that you can beat them for the price. They have held up really well so far and the glass seems to be pretty clear. I know they may not match up to a high end vortex or a nightforce but remember that you are only paying a fraction of the price for one of these. I know that they just came out with another version that is considerably more expensive and would like to hear from someone that might have one of these. I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these scopes.

pbmax84
02-20-2016, 08:34 AM
How well do they track? Thats about as important as optical quality to me, within reason of course.

darkker
02-20-2016, 11:21 AM
They track perfectly, and have the adjustment range that the Nightforce B.E.A.S.T. line has. That's why I think it's funny when someone says they are lower tier.

Don't like them, have something else that is brighter, great!
There is NO scope anywhere close to them that has as much adjustment, as reasonably close glass quality, matched turrets/reticle in a FFP.
Are they the second coming? Of course not!!
But a 34 Mil windage & elevation scope that passes box tests, has a 1,000G×1,000 time, FFP MIL-MIL scope is going to cost you A TON from anyone else, if they ever get you that much adjustment. (Cough,cough looking at you razor gen II, COUGH)
So see it as what it is, a great option for a great price.

pbmax84
02-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks for that info darkker. Elevation travel was my next question. I think I have a home for one.

darkker
02-21-2016, 12:04 AM
Interestingly, when I got mine and it went out against the SWFA; mine has a bit more adjustment than stated. It isn't a bunch, but IIRC I have about a half Mil more.

DrThunder88
02-21-2016, 03:46 AM
How well do they track? Thats about as important as optical quality to me, within reason of course.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45774-Box-Drill

Russmerle
02-21-2016, 11:48 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45774-Box-Drill

Awesome job Dr.Thunder!

WinnieTheBoom
02-22-2016, 03:23 PM
But a 34 Mil windage & elevation scope that passes box tests, has a 1,000G×1,000 time, FFP MIL-MIL scope is going to cost you A TON from anyone else, if they ever get you that much adjustment. (Cough,cough looking at you razor gen II, COUGH)
So see it as what it is, a great option for a great price.

Are you saying that 113.5 MOA internal adjustment isn't enough? Or just that it's way expensive to get that? Razor Gen II's aren't cheap by any means, but I still have a decent amount of elevation available at 2k with my Lapua. Unless of course I missed your point, which is also entirely possible.

I do agree with you in saying that the PA, for all of it's offerings and price point, is hard to beat however.

RMGunner
02-22-2016, 03:42 PM
If you like the PA scope but would prefer some other reticle options then look at the Falcon Menace (SWFA). The Falcon is the same scope but with more reticle options. They have several excellent reticle options in mils & moa.

The Falcon is a little more money than the PA but with the Falcon a sun shade and caps are provided where those are extra cost options for the PA.

SWFA is the retailer for Falcon Menace in the US.

sjeccles
02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Well after reading all the good things about the PA FFP scope on here I ordered one to try, when I opened the box I heard a rattling like something is inside the scope. I assume this is not normal. Just my luck

darkker
02-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Are you saying that 113.5 MOA internal adjustment isn't enough? Or just that it's way expensive to get that? Razor Gen II's aren't cheap by any means, but I still have a decent amount of elevation available at 2k with my Lapua. Unless of course I missed your point, which is also entirely possible.

I do agree with you in saying that the PA, for all of it's offerings and price point, is hard to beat however.

No, you got the point. If ANYONE else offers that much BOTH windage and elevation, it will cost you your first born. Is it needed? Well for as slow as I like to run my 308, to get to a mile, yes I do :)

WinnieTheBoom
02-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Well after reading all the good things about the PA FFP scope on here I ordered one to try, when I opened the box I heard a rattling like something is inside the scope. I assume this is not normal. Just my luck

Sucks to hear, but send it back. PA will take care of you.

I believe that was one of the main strikes against Falcon in recent years, that there CS was questionable. Helps that a big retailer like SWFA is now backing their products, but I've heard that PA is easier to trust if you had any issues with it.

Warrick
02-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Darkker , from all the the great things I have heard about this scope from you and others I am going to buy one for my 110. I know you have several so I thought you might know the correct scope height to get with a varmint contour and EGW 0 moa flat back mount. I plan on going with the primary arms tactical mounts also, I haven't heard much about them but the appear to be good quality.

yobuck
02-27-2016, 11:00 AM
No, you got the point. If ANYONE else offers that much BOTH windage and elevation, it will cost you your first born. Is it needed? Well for as slow as I like to run my 308, to get to a mile, yes I do :)

Im curious to know how much elevation is actually required to reach a mile with your 308?
My old 36" barreled 30x378 sent a 200 gr smk @ 3500 fps and at 1700 yds which was the
longest i shot it, it took 50 minits give or take depending on conditions.

As for the 338 Winnie, the chart i use has been verified by shooting to 1600 yds.
My m v with a 300 gr smk is 3200+. At 1600 (actual) is 36.5 minits, and the chart
calls for 54.5 @ 2000. I would not have the required elevation adjustment in the 8x32 Nightforce NXS
without using the reticle at that distance. Im guessing our velocity difference is roughly 350 fps?

darkker
02-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Darkker , from all the the great things I have heard about this scope from you and others I am going to buy one for my 110. I know you have several so I thought you might know the correct scope height to get with a varmint contour and EGW 0 moa flat back mount. I plan on going with the primary arms tactical mounts also, I haven't heard much about them but the appear to be good quality.

I bought the Primary Arms medium rings, and use them with a standard 0 MOA Weaver rail on my X7.

Im curious to know how much elevation is actually required to reach a mile with your 308?

Painless is zeroed at 100, so with today's air that means:
38.9 mils, or 133.7 moa. With the 175's at my sedate launch speed of 2550-ish. Old trick is to use the base from a round back, and stock it on Painless (flat back). Poor-man's cheap canted base :cool:

yobuck
02-28-2016, 11:56 AM
So we could round it off or up or whatever, to a measly 500 1/4 minit clicks.
Just think, if the air wasent so thin up there for at least part of the journey it would even be more.
A drone that sends back wind information and other data might be the next must have gadget lol.

darkker
02-29-2016, 09:42 PM
820 feet thin :cool: