PDA

View Full Version : New ejector and extractor. Now full sized brass is difficult to chamber.

MS50
01-12-2016, 10:01 PM
MY 10FP was not extracting and ejecting, leaving the brass laying on the follower. I replaced the ejector and spring (curved like a snake when I managed to pull it out) and extractor. I replaced the extractor ball with the larger ball. The extractor and ejector is Savage original equipment. The ball I ordered online. The brass now extracts and ejects. I searched the forums and followed common practice in reassembling the bolt. I find that previously full sized 308 brass is tight chambering. Many will not chamber at all. If I loosen the BAS to the point where the bolt handle is sloppy loose, the brass will chamber. Re-tighten the BAS, it won't chamber. Clearly the issue is the new extractor and/or ejector. I will resize the brass so that they will chamber as before. Has anybody experienced this, and am I overlooking anything important?

darkker
01-12-2016, 10:09 PM
What???

The bolt assembly screw, has nothing to do with the operation of the ejector or extractor.....
Also full length sizing the brass won't affect the case-head, which is what the extractor/ejector act upon.

Did you fool with the front action screw, and it's interfering with the bolt head?

sharpshooter
01-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Are you sure you installed the right extractor? A .223 extractor is longer on the outside and could be bottoming out against the receiver.

mugsie
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Does a head space gauge chamber and can you close the bolt on it? Just something to look at. I know swapping out the extractor should have zero to do with it but it's just another variable to eliminate.

MS50
01-13-2016, 10:15 PM
I checked the extractor, it is the correct part for the 308 bolt face. I made no changes to the front action screw. I'm going to disassemble and reassemble tomorrow. The only change is the new extractor ball, and a new style ejector. When the parts are out, I'll try the go gauge.

MS50
01-14-2016, 01:09 PM
I removed the extractor and ejector. The go-gauge chambered, the no-go gauge would not. I replaced the new style ejector with the old style ejector I removed. My previously full sized casings will now chamber. My 175smk reloads will now chamber as they did previously. I will leave things as they are until I figure out what's up with the new style ejector. Thanks for the feedback.

BillPa
01-14-2016, 02:00 PM
The only difference between the old and new style ejectors is the follower (tail) on the new style. The new style ejector 'should' be a direct replacement for the oldie. The spring is the same for both.

I'd first clean out the ejector bore with a drill bit and pipe cleaner to be sure the tail isn't bottoming out on some sort of a foreign material in the bore . Afterwards drop the new ejector in the bore sans the spring-retaining pin to be sure it will retract flush with the bolt face then do the same with the spring installed again without the retaining pin. Use a case hooked under the extractor to prevent launching anything.
If it still pushes in flush with the bolt face try it fully assembled, spring, ejector and retaining pin. If it doesn't then compare the both the new and old ejector's dimensions, slot length, it's position, its overall length and etc.

Bill

geezerhood
01-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Before taking it out like BillPa suggested and checking fit, try pushing the installed new ejector down with a punch. If it doesn't go flush or slightly below the bolt face, that is most likely your problem and you can proceed with BillPa's procedure above to fix it.

MS50
01-17-2016, 03:39 PM
The new style ejector will push below the level of the bolt face with a punch. There seems to be more tension on the new ejector. I removed the new style ejector, cleaned out the ejector bore in case that was the problem. The dimensions of the slot in the new style ejector is .256 in. The old style slot is .211 in. On the new style ejector, the distance from the end of the slot to the tip of the pin is shorter than that on the old style ejector. I wonder if the edge of the slot catches on the lip of the ejector bore, leading to chambering problems? Anyhow, I've replaced the new style with the old style ejector so that I can get on with it. Also replaced the extractor ball on my Mod12 223 bolt. Now extracting and ejecting without issue. Thanks for the feedback everybody.