PDA

View Full Version : Really stupid question, but ...

SlowTrigger
01-12-2016, 07:30 PM
here it goes. I'm really OCD, especially when it comes to my rifles. Anyway, I bought a "heavy duty" nylon brush (really hard bristles, but nylon, nonetheless) and ran it through the bore a few times. While doing this, I could hear screeching as the brush moved through the bore. I'm just wondering... is there any way that this could scratch or damage the bore?? I don't think so, but hopefully it doesn't hurt to ask :confused: :o

Thanks in advance,
- Slow

pbmax84
01-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Did you reverse it while in the bore? Cant figure out any other reason for the screeching.

SlowTrigger
01-12-2016, 08:38 PM
pbmax84, thanks for your reply.

No, I did not reverse it while in the bore. Couldn't even if I wanted to (fit is very snug).

Thanks,
- Slow

adammiddagh
01-12-2016, 09:44 PM
I see no way it could hurt anything, but I am also a believer in stainless steel brushes. :p

BillPa
01-12-2016, 09:51 PM
What rod are you using and with what rod guide?

pbmax84
01-13-2016, 12:04 AM
As long as you use a well fitting guide and a good coated rod it cant hurt anything. Keep on scrubbin' !!

darkker
01-13-2016, 12:17 AM
sounds like a tight fit, bronze does it too if properly fitting

GaCop
01-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Where you running it through dry or with solvent?

SlowTrigger
01-13-2016, 01:53 PM
What rod are you using and with what rod guide?
Bill, I'm using a carbon fiber rod with a plastic rod guide (not sure what brand or style though).

SlowTrigger
01-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Where you running it through dry or with solvent?
I was running it dry. No solvent.

Bunky-Shooter
01-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Not a stupid question.. You are just trying to educate your self.. Never scrub you bore with anything dry. Always use a bore solvent !! Nylon brushes are great for a general, fast cleaning
of your bore. Shooter Choice all bronze brush for you bore size is a great brush. The bronze is softer than your barrel but stiff enough to get out the tough carbon build up in the throat
area out.. A big misconception : nylon is softer !! It is but if its used a lot it will wear your bore too !!! Here is some great info on barrel cleaning. http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html
good luck..

SlowTrigger
01-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Not a stupid question.. You are just trying to educate your self.. Never scrub you bore with anything dry. Always use a bore solvent !! Nylon brushes are great for a general, fast cleaning
of your bore. Shooter Choice all bronze brush for you bore size is a great brush. The bronze is softer than your barrel but stiff enough to get out the tough carbon build up in the throat
area out.. A big misconception : nylon is softer !! It is but if its used a lot it will wear your bore too !!! Here is some great info on barrel cleaning. http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html
good luck..

Thanks for that info. These are things that I did not know about, especially your point about not running the brush dry. Also. I thought that I was doing less harm by running the nylon brush instead of bronze. Thanks again.

- Slow