PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Jwills
01-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Hello all I am a new member to this very informative site and a proud owner of 3 of their rifles, .17, 116-7mm rem mag, and a ML II. I just purchased the Boyds Feather Light Thumb Hole stock and looking into pillar beading it. First I am going to go out and shoot it to see the accuracy, pretty happy with the accuracy now with the plastic stock, getting 2" groups at 150 yds. My question is where do I get the kit for the pillar bedding?

Russmerle
01-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the forum Jwills. Since you're asking a question I would change the thread title to "Best Stock Bedding Kit?" or something like that... You'll get some quicker replies from pretty knowledgeable guys. Again, welcome and happy shooting!

JW
01-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the site
You will find a lot of information concerning bedding and pillar bedding here
I would try the FAQ section at top of board first, it will help you out

Well I just checked the FAQ section a lot of info but did not see bedding
Do an advanced search on pillar bedding

Several ways to pillar bed,a lot of us make our own pillars and install
There are kits out there for pillar bedding but I am sure you will have to modify the pillars so I make mine
I am sure some one else will chime in
I hope this helps
Jack

drybean
01-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Welcome aboard

big honkin jeep
01-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Welcome

FW Conch
01-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Welcome. I make my own pillars from hardware store lamp rod. I use JB Weld or Devcon 10110 for the bedding. The Savage pillars work well also, and are available from several sources. There is a ton of information on this site, YouTube, and the net in general, on pilar bedding a stock. Good Luck. :-)

GaCop
01-12-2016, 06:00 AM
Along with pillars, you'll need to glass bed the action too. Both jobs can be done at the same time. As FW Conch stated, lamp rod works well. The rear lamp rod pillar will have to be notched to clear the sear but that's not a big problem if you own a Dremel. You can get Savage specific pillars from Brownells that has the rear pillar already notched but you'l have to be sure you get it lined up properly when bedding it. Glad to have you as a member of the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut".