PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 Warranty Work

PhDuh
01-11-2016, 12:11 PM
New to the Forum but not to Savage rifles. I live in Jacksonville, FL and just picked up a new Model 12 in .223. While attempting to mount an EGW scope rail I found one of the four receiver threads was not tapped all the way or cross-threaded. I spoke with Debby at the Savage Warranty Center and she told me to find a local gunsmith and if he could repair it for less than $30.00 Savage would reimburse me and that sounds much better to me than packing up the rifle and sending it back to Savage. Anybody have a recommendation for a gunsmith in my area? Thanks in advance.

Roach68
01-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Which hole is it? A to long screw in the front hole will often bottom out on the barrel threads before getting tight

PhDuh
01-11-2016, 12:46 PM
It is the front hole, however, you can't even get the screw to start in the hole. I even attempted to run a tap through the hole in case there was a burr but I can't even start a tap in the front hole.

FW Conch
01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
You might try looking closely at the hole with a magnifying glass to see if there are any threads, and that there is no screw broken off in the hole, if you have not already. If the hole is clear, it should be tappable with a 3 piece set, starter tap, intermediate, and finish tap. If there are any threads at all in the hole, try to line the starter tap up with the them and start it square and plumb with the hole. Worst that could happen, the hole would have to be drilled and tapped for the next largest size.

PhDuh
01-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Well, once again I've lived up to my handle of having a Doctorate in Duh!. I found barrel threads in the bottom of the hole. Took my dremel and removed about 1 thread from the screw and the scope mount fit perfectly. Roach68 and FW Conch thank you for getting me on the right track. I'd still like to hear about good gunsmiths around this area for when I really do screw something up.

FW Conch
01-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Around here, we love a success story :-)

To find a good smith in your area, you might talk to people in the shooting community around you. The range, gun shop, shooting supply store, etc. And use your instincts to separate the wheat from the chaff. Good Luck...Jim :-)