PDA

View Full Version : anyone bed a chaote uv

rjoy
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
I picked up a chaote uv and was wondering how difficult is it to bed any one with any info. Also what type and make of bedding material?
I would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first time doing this..... cant you tell
Thanks

Fjold
06-25-2010, 09:48 PM
I didn't bed mine but I had to shave off material under the tang as it was really high there.

McKinneyMike
06-26-2010, 05:23 AM
I had my UV skim bedded by my smith when I built my last rifle. Not sure if it really needed it, but I decided to do it anyway. As it was a completely new build, I can not comment on any improvements that might have occurred though.

dcloco
06-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Bed it. Rough up the aluminum and choate plastic with a barrel drum on your low speed dremel.

Prefer to use Marine Tex or Devcon. I use car wax as a release agent. Use a Q Tip to apply the release agent in the tight areas. Also use clay to fill up the serrations in the barrel nut and to prevent the bedding compound to travel too far past the lug.

tammons
06-26-2010, 01:33 PM
I am not sure if it need it either.
Cant hurt anything, but I shot a 4 shot 3/4" group, 6mmBR, at 300 yards with 2 bullets through the same hole
with an unbedded UV.

Quickshot
06-26-2010, 06:18 PM
:)I have a UV with a mod. 12 .223 dropped in. The way she draws down into the V-block I don't see a need to bed it. Maybe with larger cal. it might be helpful. Bought a B&C medalist and the aluminum is loose on the reciever so I surely will be bedding it when ready use it. Quick

dcloco
06-27-2010, 12:23 AM
After you shoot a couple hundred rounds, pull the action out of the stock and look at the shiny lines on the action and the aluminum V blocks.

Quickshot
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
dcloco, I did notice the shiny marks. I could be wrong but I believe this is caused by the difference in the rockwell between SS and Alum. If the recoil lug is not doing its job then there could be a little slide in there to cause the shiny spots, but on .223 and tourqed down good I wouldn,t think the shine would be any more than just the harder metal settling into the aluminum. Something to think about though. Quick

rjoy
06-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. Looks like i got some things to think about
Rjoy

LongDistance
06-28-2010, 10:07 AM
You guys answered my questions

dcloco
06-29-2010, 10:38 PM
dcloco, I did notice the shiny marks. I could be wrong but I believe this is caused by the difference in the rockwell between SS and Alum. If the recoil lug is not doing its job then there could be a little slide in there to cause the shiny spots, but on .223 and tourqed down good I wouldn,t think the shine would be any more than just the harder metal settling into the aluminum. Something to think about though. Quick

The action slides forward in the stock after the initial recoil. Rather minute amount, but, it still slides.

With the theory of dissimilar materials, then they should lock together rather well....