View Full Version : switching brass?

Pages : 1 [2]

redwoood
01-14-2016, 12:14 AM
24 inch barrel. I use a copper solvent every time I clean...butches I believe.

eddiesindian
01-14-2016, 12:12 PM
roger that redwood
Personally,id go necked down LC brass. I found it on (gunbroker)....... I purchased some horn. 140s as to fire form the brass and took it from there.
its 1/3 less the cost of nosler/lapua.
I still use nosler, but I prefer lc

savgebolt
01-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Darkker ,,,,,,,,, i hate to sound stupid ,,, would you explain , when you reload you measure by volume,,,,, thanks for tolerating me

darkker
01-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Darkker ,,,,,,,,, i hate to sound stupid ,,, would you explain , when you reload you measure by volume,,,,, thanks for tolerating me

No sweat at all.
Too many people in all industries, confuse a volume and weight. A volume is a displacement, with no solid ties to it's weight. A weight is simply somethings mass, regardless of how much displacement it takes up.
So when I reload, I measure powder in CC's but DO NOT re-check the weight; nor try and get "A weight", I need A volume.

A powder will ALWAYS have a varying BD(bulk density). This means that the amount of "power" potential in the powder will vary, when using identical weights of powder.

-Below is ONLY for Extruded powder!
Extruded powder has it's burning rate controlled by geometry(grain size, perforations, etc). The burning rate(geometry) is what controls how quickly that power potential is released. If you only weigh your charges, your volume, or case fill will constantly vary. Varying case fill will alter a powders burning rate. Only loading by weight will ignore the normal volume changes associated with differing BD's, so you get different actual burning rates. This potentially gets further aggrevated by the associated change in case fill.

If you are interested in this, Richard Lee's Modern Reloading manuals discusses this quite well.

savgebolt
01-21-2016, 08:25 AM
thanx for the info , i will pursue that ,