PDA

View Full Version : New 260 build day at the range

Pages : [1] 2

doctnj
01-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I gave some information about this trip on my ocw test for 6.5 CM thread but I thougt this should have its own thread.

I loaded up lapua cases right out of the box with no resizing what ever. Just powder, primer and bullet. There were two loads, one having 140 gr berger hyb with 40.0 gr of H4350 and cci 200 primers. The second load was the same conditions except 41.5 gr of H4350.

Ok conditions. The morning was high 20's then low 30's with swirling 15, 20 and 25 mph gusts with rain giving way to snow to none. So less than ideal but I could see I wasnt goin to get any better any time soon. Not to mention I was just coming undone over wanting to get out and finally see if this rifle could shoot.

I started the shooting with the Vanilla load (mild charge). It did well but was about 1moa at worst. I think that load just happened to be a node that cant perform any better in this barrel. Now the second charge of 41.5 was much more of a performer. I managed to put several rounds nearly through the same hole. I started this shooting outing with thick gloves on. The gloves have a shooting finger but when paired with a sub 1# trigger pull, the pressure of the insulation expanding was enough in a couple instances to break the shot. I switched to my shooting glove and then was able to break shots as I wanted them to break. I have this video which will show my basic approach to a rapic or quick fire sequence and getting back on target and squeezing off the next shot. I had already shot all of the hotter loads before I thought of videoing but you can get the point. Its a starting point and now I will have some accurate fire formed brass to hopefully get a better results. Just before leaving for the day, I pulled out the ballistics calculator and got my come ups for 300 yard target and shot the last 20 or so rounds out there. And what was 1moa ammo at 100 yards was..... you guest it 1 moa at 300.

more to come. Here is link to video on youtube.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2vHEWEKREWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vHEWEKREWM&feature=youtu.be)

I have alot to look at but its a place to start.

Let me know what you think.

LongRange
01-09-2016, 10:39 PM
very nice...very interested to see where your load and FPS ends up...i bet that creed will be collecting dust for awhile now lol.

doctnj
01-09-2016, 11:20 PM
You are probably right about that. Except I have another test loaded up and I can't just leave it!!. I had the v3 hooked up so I'll post up the numbers tomorrow. I can't wait to see how it does with actual control of neck tension etc. Stumbled on a good one

doctnj
01-09-2016, 11:35 PM
It will definitely get left in the safe when the new CM is finished. Then I'll switch to my hornady brass and start all over. I didn't want to even take a chance of shooting out the barrel. I want to keep it all original. Because of its uniqueness.

LongRange
01-10-2016, 08:56 AM
if you dont already know the bayonet will change things so id suggest you load an extra round or 2 of each charge to chrony before of after your load development test.

LoneWolf
01-10-2016, 11:44 AM
if you dont already know the bayonet will change things so id suggest you load an extra round or 2 of each charge to chrony before of after your load development test.
I've done load tests with the V3. I usually notice groups move up and to the left slightly, but the group size remains the same. Variances may also depend on how heavy the barrel is as well though for all I know. I run heavy Varmint contour for everyone's knowledge.

I do find the magnetospeed chrono's to be extremely accurate though.

doctnj
01-10-2016, 12:47 PM
First off LR Im going to take that comment with a little tongue and cheek. Considering you know I just practically gave my chroney away. I like getting numbers actually. POI shift no big deal. Here are the numbers for the hotter load. Remember there was no standard neck tension so Im not too worked up over the ES.

Series, 7, Shots:,18
Min,2647, Max,2696
Avg,2675 ,S-D,12.2
ES , 49

Series,Shot,Speed
7, 1, 2660, ft/s
7, 2, 2683, ft/s
7, 3, 2674, ft/s
7, 4, 2692, ft/s
7, 5, 2677, ft/s
7, 6, 2677, ft/s
7, 7, 2696, ft/s
7, 8, 2666, ft/s
7, 9, 2666, ft/s
7,10, 2665, ft/s
7,11, 2689, ft/s
7,12, 2647, ft/s
7,13, 2682, ft/s
7,14, 2684, ft/s
7,15, 2676, ft/s
7,16, 2666, ft/s
7,17, 2683, ft/s
7,18, 2673, ft/s

Only one shot above BOOK max velocity. Absolutely no pressure signs at all. I think I can comfortably work around there and test above and below.
Here is pic of ALL 18 shots. It is of limited value except was kind of fun blowing out the center.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/doctnj/Mobile%20Uploads/20160109_151240.jpg

doctnj
01-10-2016, 12:49 PM
And as far as going out today.... its going to be high of 24. Think ill just load today.

sixonetonoffun
01-10-2016, 01:15 PM
-teens here this am. Good day to stay home have a cup of cocoa n watch the Seahawks vs Vikings.

doctnj
01-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Well I went any how. 22 degrees but no wind so it was nice. I brought the 338 but since nothing good happened I guess it doesnt matter where I posted at. I swapped a vortex over to the lapua mounted on some basic vortex rings. First time I had used basic vortex rings. I hadnt bore sighted it but had marked cross hairs on a posterboard on the wall and kept the rifle bagged in fairly motionless when mounting the new scope and set it on the cross on the wall. So I broght 5 extra generic pre loaded rounds to zero before I started my test. 100 yrds, 1 shot.... no idea....guess down a mil .... no idea... pull the bolt sight down the barrel and compare to scope... way off..scope 4 mills to right with bore on target. so I dial left 4 mils. ... shoot still off..pull bolt re adjust then shoot. Now i notice a hole on upper left most edge of target but honestly dont know when it got there. Hoping it was from last shot I adjusted one more time..... long story short I went through all my zeroing ammo and wasnt able to zero. Oh and the blasted V3 wasnt reading either. It kept saying low signal. Maybe battery issue I dont know. I stopped and re adjusted that **** thing between every shot for no apparent reason.

So I had three sight in rounds for my 300 yrd shot. Managed to get 1st round on paper although it was 2 mills right and .2 high. Still no velocity reading. wound up firing the remaining two rounds, each one hotter than the last and neither one was on paper and no velocity readings so I packed it in.

I already ordered vortex precision rings to take that out of the equation. Its either cockeyed rings and caused my windage to be almost bottomed out, or this new scope is a dog. At least there is foot ball.

LongRange
01-10-2016, 08:41 PM
I've done load tests with the V3. I usually notice groups move up and to the left slightly, but the group size remains the same. Variances may also depend on how heavy the barrel is as well though for all I know. I run heavy Varmint contour for everyone's knowledge.

I do find the magnetospeed chrono's to be extremely accurate though.

i have the sporter and the same(depending on the load)but always high and to one side...until today...look at my last post in my 260AI thread LW...groups #3 and #5...ive got no explanation for that.

LongRange
01-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Well I went any how. 22 degrees but no wind so it was nice. I brought the 338 but since nothing good happened I guess it doesnt matter where I posted at. I swapped a vortex over to the lapua mounted on some basic vortex rings. First time I had used basic vortex rings. I hadnt bore sighted it but had marked cross hairs on a posterboard on the wall and kept the rifle bagged in fairly motionless when mounting the new scope and set it on the cross on the wall. So I broght 5 extra generic pre loaded rounds to zero before I started my test. 100 yrds, 1 shot.... no idea....guess down a mil .... no idea... pull the bolt sight down the barrel and compare to scope... way off..scope 4 mills to right with bore on target. so I dial left 4 mils. ... shoot still off..pull bolt re adjust then shoot. Now i notice a hole on upper left most edge of target but honestly dont know when it got there. Hoping it was from last shot I adjusted one more time..... long story short I went through all my zeroing ammo and wasnt able to zero. Oh and the blasted V3 wasnt reading either. It kept saying low signal. Maybe battery issue I dont know. I stopped and re adjusted that **** thing between every shot for no apparent reason.

So I had three sight in rounds for my 300 yrd shot. Managed to get 1st round on paper although it was 2 mills right and .2 high. Still no velocity reading. wound up firing the remaining two rounds, each one hotter than the last and neither one was on paper and no velocity readings so I packed it in.

I already ordered vortex precision rings to take that out of the equation. Its either cockeyed rings and caused my windage to be almost bottomed out, or this new scope is a dog. At least there is foot ball.

i see you have the Charlie Brown luck too LOL!! but a bad day shooting is better than...well...any day not shooting!!

doctnj
01-10-2016, 10:12 PM
After reading your thread and you having some wierd issues I don't feel so alone. I hope I just have this new scope mounted in a bind. I've never chased shots back and forth across the target. I know looking down the barrel is no laser sight but I normally zero with two shots and one to confirm. And after 5 and having no real idea going into the 300 yrds target, I was stumped. At one point I was looking down the barrel and needed 6 mil adjustment and then after shooting was like nothing changed! This is how pathetic things got. My very last shot on the 100 yrd target, I had adjusted from a hole that is at the top of all the targets. You know the hole they hang them from in the store. Yeah it was that bad.

sixonetonoffun
01-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Sometimes it's as simple as the front base screw being too long. Bottoming out on the barrel threads appearing to be tightening. But yeah we all have our "Doh!" moments.

yobuck
01-11-2016, 09:11 AM

Look in the scope as you turn the knob to confirm the reticle is moving as you turn.
If not loosen the ring screws and see if it moves then. Chances are you might have the ring screws too tight.
This happened to me when i mounted a Vortex Viper on my sons 338. Reccomended screw settings are 15/20 inch pounds.
15 # probably wont hold the scope from sliding in the rings with the Lapua. Also the windage was way off center when we finally got
the rings set where the knobs worked. He ended up moving that scope to a lighter recoiling gun.

doctnj
01-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Real quick before I head off to work. The base has been the same for 3 years only the rings and scope were changed. The basic vortex rings seem pretty stout but not near as the precision "seekins" rings. Two of the screws on each ring that hold the scope in place are at a 45 degree angle. I could see, and am hoping, that depending on tightening sequence how they have the potential to pull the scope over ever so slightly. When the new rings get here Ill pull it apart carefully and see if there is anything that looks off. Probably be so minor I wont be able to tell though. I have 100 % confidence in the seekins rings. They are a beast! Maybe the standard vortex rings just cant handle the recoil. Who knows. I hate the idea that the scope might be bad but I know vortex will take care of it no problem. Either way, next range trip Im taking a pile of zeroing rounds.

That blasted V3, yest still ranting, is tough to work around the large break on the 338. I got it before it just seemed like there was nothing I could do to get a reading. I got ONE, the very first one and it was ridiculous. Nowhere close to reality so its also possible that the battery could be low. Its the original battery that came with the unit and have used it for 8 hours total.

doctnj
01-11-2016, 09:51 AM
What rings were you using?

doctnj
01-11-2016, 10:13 AM
I sure hope the viper can handle the recoil. I just sold a weaver that seemed to do well with it. A couple reasons I changed was first it was only a 5-20 mil dot. and secondly and mostly, it had solid center cross hairs. Zoomed in on small targets at long range were completely covered by crosshairs. Im still going to need another scope for the creedmoor that is being built so its not a complete loss if it doesn't work out. I am really rooting for the rings or just a sloppy mounting job or something like that. I could use a break!!

yobuck
01-11-2016, 12:56 PM
What rings were you using?

The rings used originaly were Weaver tactical rings having 6 screws on each cap, 3 each side.
Without getting into a debate over rings, we have used these same rings on other high recoiling
guns with other brand scopes with no issues. But my system had always been to tighten the rings
untill i felt the screws might break if i tightened them further. That had never been an issue untill this scope.
All of a sudden that method was wrong, and i had to buy an inch pound torque driver to properly install scopes.
The windage issue as to being way off center after zeroing the scope at 100 yds, couldnt be resolved with the Weaver rings.
We bought a set of U S Optics windage adjustable rings to resolve that issue. But not before swapping scopes to rule out
any base alignment issues. As for the slipage issue i had lapped the rings so that wasent a cause. The actual (cause) is the
scope tube is no doubt thinner than others, which controls how much torque can be applied to the screws. Another issue we had
was elevation adjustment, or the lack of it. With a 20 minit base on this particular 338x378 we werent happy with it. Even after
swapping out the base for a 40 minit, 1200 yds was about all the clicks the scope would offer from a 100 yd zero. We ultimatly resolved the
issues by installing another scope.

doctnj
01-12-2016, 08:11 AM
What "other scope"?