PDA

View Full Version : Who's shot 285s and 300s in their 338 Edge???

upSLIDEdown
01-09-2016, 02:04 AM
So I built an Edge a while back, and haven't shot it much at all. Every time I decide to do some load development, I never seem to get decent results, and it goes back in the safe for a while.

It's a 30" 1:10 twist.

After a 500yd ladder test where everything from 90-95gr went inside a 4" vertical, I decided charge weight may not be a huge deal, which is what most people that shoot an Edge say. Most shoot 92-93gr of H1000 under a 300 Hybrid, so that's what I loaded.

93gr of H1000, and started playing with seating depths. I did finally get a decent .440" 3 shot group at 100 with .035" off the lands, and I loaded my last 11 bullets at that length just now to try next time I go out to see if I really found a decent load for it.

I've got quite a few Hornady 285 BTHPs that I picked up because quite a few people say they go transonic better than most anything else, and I built this gun in hopes to get out past a mile one day.

Trying not to waste a ton of components here, so I'm curious if anyone has loaded both bullets, and if the powder charge was similar, or more?

Also, do the 285s like to be at the lands, or jumping a little?

Any insight is appreciated.