PDA

View Full Version : Savage Long Action 300 WinMag Build Complete!

Pages : 1 [2]

Russmerle
01-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Nice! A PRS stock would sure be nice on her so you don't have to use the ACE bandage. It would also add a little more weight for you. But the cost of the PRS is pretty dang steep so I don't blame you for going with the MOE. I've seen the Luth-AR stock referred to as a cheaper PRS alternate, but it looks lighter weight.

Nice rig! I hope to see some groups

Thanks Chris! Oh how I would love to mount a PRS on her... I've seen some used PRS stocks for $175 but the ACE bandage has to work for now. I used some foam to build the cheek up, wrapped it with camo form and then added the ACE bandage to save my face. The Luthe was still a bit pricey and it does look a lot lighter

Russmerle
01-30-2016, 03:06 PM
These are all 3 shot groups at 100 yards from prone (bipod/rear bag) with manufacturer Sierra MatchKing Gold Medal Match. I was hoping for one ragged whole groups but I just couldn't settle down. I think she is capable of much more I just couldn't shoot it today. It was 28 degrees F but I don't think the weather was affecting me. Between flinching and bipod wiggle, I should be able to improve with a little more trigger time and a tighter front end!
http://i.imgur.com/NhEuCND.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6APfQAM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/d4c8DBX.jpg

Russmerle
01-30-2016, 03:09 PM
The orange target was my last group of the three and it is a 3 shot group... I hope to be able to put all three in the same whole when I'm done getting her and myself tweaked. And yes, I realize how pervy that sounds lol

Russmerle
02-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Swapped bolt handles too!
http://i.imgur.com/8ijrx0P.jpg

thatguyshm
02-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Hey hey, I'm doing the same thing, just with a 28" barrel and I have a PRS kicking around that will go on it. Been wondering though what the mag oal is. I got mine throated long for some bergers and was wondering just what their mag is capable of seating to. Nice looking rifle man. Mine should be together in a month or two. Sending it off to be timed next month.

Shm

300whisper
02-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Awesome rifle! I really like that stock and was considering it for my 110 in some kind of 6.5 round. I might pass on one though if recoil is an issue. I am also digging the one in the BC M40 stock as well. I might go that direction. Thanks for the ideas!!

Hair_Boxers
02-17-2016, 10:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/A97KdA1.jpg

What app are you running to scan your targets and return the data?

How has the accuracy been?

Russmerle
02-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Hey hey, I'm doing the same thing, just with a 28" barrel and I have a PRS kicking around that will go on it. Been wondering though what the mag oal is. I got mine throated long for some bergers and was wondering just what their mag is capable of seating to. Nice looking rifle man. Mine should be together in a month or two. Sending it off to be timed next month.

Shm

Thanks man. The chassis I have accepts 3.715" mag's only... So that is what I ordered and they look as though you can push close to that OAL. What length are you trying to push? AI makes mag's in a few different lengths.

Russmerle
02-18-2016, 01:03 AM
What app are you running to scan your targets and return the data?

How has the accuracy been?

The app is Ballistic: Standard Edition by Peak Studios LLC... So far it has been working out well and seems to be pretty accurate. The only thing to keep in mind is you have to set a length reference by an object in the photo. So if you have 1" squares on your target in photo then you would set scale to 1" and Stretch the scale marker from side to side of the 1" square. Once the scale is set you can line up impact markers on your bullet holes and it does the rest for you.

seems confusing at first but it's easy to figure out once you try it. I just use of for keeping and charting targets and plotting trajectory charts (does environment, ballistic data, etc)... Boxers, I'm looking forward to your build pics!

thatguyshm
02-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Thanks man. The chassis I have accepts 3.715" mag's only... So that is what I ordered and they look as though you can push close to that OAL. What length are you trying to push? AI makes mag's in a few different lengths.

I'm not sure what I'll run for length yet. Quick call to MDT yesterday and they said it looked like 3.606" internal, so it should work out. I tried emailing alpha mags to see what their external size was and never heard back.

All I'm doing now is trying to figure out a better recoil pad for the PRS. Thanks for looking for me.

Shm

Hair_Boxers
02-18-2016, 12:25 PM
The app is Ballistic: Standard Edition by Peak Studios LLC... So far it has been working out well and seems to be pretty accurate. The only thing to keep in mind is you have to set a length reference by an object in the photo. So if you have 1" squares on your target in photo then you would set scale to 1" and Stretch the scale marker from side to side of the 1" square. Once the scale is set you can line up impact markers on your bullet holes and it does the rest for you.

seems confusing at first but it's easy to figure out once you try it. I just use of for keeping and charting targets and plotting trajectory charts (does environment, ballistic data, etc)... Boxers, I'm looking forward to your build pics!

Thanks. Looks really, really nice. Unfortunately, they are only iOS and I am an Android. There do appear to be a couple options out there for Android but nothing where you can use your target and take a photo like this.

psharon97
02-18-2016, 01:23 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/678973/graco-breako-mercury-recoil-reducer-standard-7-8-x-4-14-oz

you might could install this in the stock to help with recoil. I've heard good things about adding a tube of mercury before.

Russmerle
03-03-2016, 01:00 AM
I'm not sure what I'll run for length yet. Quick call to MDT yesterday and they said it looked like 3.606" internal, so it should work out. I tried emailing alpha mags to see what their external size was and never heard back.

All I'm doing now is trying to figure out a better recoil pad for the PRS. Thanks for looking for me.

Shm
I hate to do this on here because MDT did right by me... However, the mag they sent me was slightly out of spec and caused cycling issues. They gave me a couple options like replacing my mag free of charge or sending me different length mag release levers to sure up the mag when it's inserted in the mag well. I opted for the mag release levers so I had the hardware for future use and bought a new mag from AI. I will mod the MDT mag so it works... But I would go with AICS themselves. The AI mag I have seems a bit better than the MDT mag. Regardless, the chassis is amazing, MDT customer service is top notch and they really treated me well. Not to mention, they worked with Savage and that other company to modify their LSS chassis for the Savage Stealth rifle they tested with the military. They're good peoples.