PDA

View Full Version : Vortex viper glass

Pages : [1] 2

Pvineyard
01-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I am new here. But I was wondering if the quality of glass is the same across the viper line? The 6.5-20 is very tempting for $469 but I was concerned that the glass might be along the diamondback line.

Also Im also eyeballing the leupold mark 4 lr 4.5-14 but it's hard to see a difference for almost double the price without seeing them in person. Is the glass that much better? And would it be worth giving up the magnification? I'm going to be shooting at 1000-1250 yds (well hopefully...one day) but don't have the budget for a nightforce without waiting another year and rocking a cheapo for now.
Thanks ahead of time.

Front Royalty
01-08-2016, 11:51 PM
I can only speak for the 6.5-20 PA, but the glass is nice. That scope has a pretty short eye relief. Its my first "pricy" scope and it has been fantastic after 330 .308 rds, as you would expect. It can also be found cheaper than that if you look around, but I always like to support my local shops when I can.

Pvineyard
01-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Alright thanks. Yeah this will be my first pricey scope as well as I'm just starting in long range shooting. I was just going by swfa and optic planets website on prices

triglet
01-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Not sure if you would be interested but there Natchez shooter supply is running a good sale on leupold vx3 right now. Midway is having a sale on 6.5 x 20 vortex. Think it's their lower line but it would be worth looking at if your on a budget

nso123
01-09-2016, 09:52 PM
I have a 6.5-20 that I am about to send back in to be checked. I am not sure if there is something wrong with the scope, but it seems to be very "dark" sometimes. As noted above, the eye relief is pretty short on it, particularly at higher powers. I am confident that they will make any problems right with their warranty. Aside from this issue, I have been pleased with the scope.

fgw_in_fla
01-10-2016, 02:59 PM
You'll find the quality of glass vary with the cost of the scope.

The Diamondback I use on my hunting rifles is adequate for the distances I shoot. (up to 100 - 150 yds.)
Viper PA - Could have a little more eye relief and the glass is not bad. Good enough for the occasional 4-500 yd. shot.
Viper PST - good eye relief and glass much, much clearer then what you get in the Viper PA. I have used mine for shots over 800yds.
Razor - The good stuff. Need to fill out a mortgage application, though.

Leupold - I can't recall a Leupold scope that had lousy glass. Even the cheapo VX-1 I had a few years back had nice glass.

Pvineyard
01-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. The vortex PST line is really looking to be the way to go considering the price difference of it and a mark 4 and to be marginally more than the PA viper. I found the bushnell 4500 elite line for pretty cheap but all they seem to have is their duplex reticle and that doesn't seem like itd be good for 1000+ shots.

Man I thought picking a caliber was hard. This is 100 harder lol.

Kadams1563
01-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Pvineyard are you by chance Mil/Leo or retired from either? If so let Vortex know and the prices get better ;)

Pvineyard
01-10-2016, 08:52 PM
No sir. Good ole full prices for me.

WinnieTheBoom
01-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Look around on LRH and Sniper's Hide for one second hand. You can find PST 6-24 FFPs in the $650 range, and they go down from there. It makes no sense to buy brand new Vortex when they honor the warranty regardless of whether or not you bought the scope new or not.

That said, the PST leaps and bounds better than the PA, and the Razor will rival most NF scopes. I have both and have been completely satisfied with their performance.

jimbo88mm
01-15-2016, 08:25 PM
If you want the glass from a PST but don't need the extra fancy illuminated/etched reticle you can save some money by going with a Viper HS-T. It's the exact same glass and turrets but without some of the extra bells and whistles..

You can usually find them in the mid $600s.

Midway actually has this scope with the MOA reticle on clearance for $519! That is pretty darn near the LE/Mil price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/368904/vortex-optics-viper-hs-t-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-50mm-side-focus-vmr-1-moa-reticle-matte

Here's a close look at mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-TAHP-Pc4

Front Royalty
01-16-2016, 10:28 PM
My scope is defective. Doesn't track properly between 35 & 45 moa elevation. Apparently, according to my instructor, this is a very common issue with the hundreds of rifles used by his students. I'm pretty salty over here and wishing id have given my money to NightForce.

Kadams1563
01-17-2016, 12:07 AM
My scope is defective. Doesn't track properly between 35 & 45 moa elevation. Apparently, according to my instructor, this is a very common issue with the hundreds of rifles used by his students. I'm pretty salty over here and wishing id have given my money to NightForce.

Which scope do you have exactly?

Front Royalty
01-17-2016, 11:04 AM
The one in my signature line, 6.5-20 PA

bigcheese920
01-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Been out to 1000 yard line with my Viper PA. Works great for my purposes. If you're thinking of shooting long range competition I'd pick a different scope due to things getting a little blurry on full power at that range so it takes a little more time to dial it in but it can definitely be done easily.

Front Royalty
01-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Been out to 1000 yard line with my Viper PA. Works great for my purposes. If you're thinking of shooting long range competition I'd pick a different scope due to things getting a little blurry on full power at that range so it takes a little more time to dial it in but it can definitely be done easily.

Not that you were replying to me, but:

I think I will pick a different scope because it doesn't track correctly. The fact that it is blurry at 20x can be mitigated by dialing it back to 14, 16, or 18. I don't shoot at 20x anyway because it makes seeing your impacts next to impossible. I'm glad you got one that works properly, and I really hope the one they replace mine with works properly because I love the scope. However, I do not want a scope that doesn't work properly, even if the warranty is stellar.

Pvineyard
01-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Well I pulled the trigger on a PA on clearance from midway...and sent it back haha. Nothing really against it but I am going to hold out for a HST or PST or hopefully a nightforce shv.
Plus I didn't realize it was the x44 scope with the BDC reticle. Dang it lol

Front Royalty
01-20-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking a SHV is next on my list too.

Pvineyard
01-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Especially with the new shv FFP at shot show!!

Texas10
01-26-2016, 12:46 AM
I've got a Vortex Crossfield II 4.5-18X44 FFP with illuminated reticle on a M12FV that is actually pretty good glass, especially for the price. I like it better than my Viper HS-T 6-24X50 (30mm tube) on my M12BVSS. Crossfield is made in China, HS-T in Singapore and supposed to be better glass.