PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mounting on 110 LA - VX-3 2.5-8x36 with a twist

3darcher2
01-08-2016, 09:10 PM
OK I am approaching build time shortly. I've been accumulating some stuff over the past year for a couple builds. The first is going to be a LH mountain rifle in .280 AI.

I have a VX-3 2.5-8x36 that will be the optic on this rifle. This build will be on a flat back LH L/A. I was originally planning on going with a DNZ Game Reaper for a lightweight base/ring combo. Upon further review, the distance between the bell housings on the scope is 5.10" according to Leupy. The DNZ website says that the standard mount is 5.06" wide to the outside of the rings, so that seems like a no go since there would be no adjustment for eye relief.

The other options are:

DNZ "Extended" which are about 4.4" outside of the rings. but they only appear to be available in a round back :chargrined:

DNZ 2 piece that I don't see on their site but I do see on Midway.

Talley 2 piece

I also see there is a Talley 1 piece similar to the DNZ but I don't know if they are discontinued?

I really like the idea of the DNZ if I could get enough adjustment and I would give up the half ounce or so over the Talleys. I just don't know if that's possible... The Talleys would be OK I think, but there's that whole regular/extended thing again.

I also want to keep the scope low; should I anticipate any bolt clearance issues if I go with a low mount from either company? Does LH have any impact here? Looks like in a 2 piece mounts are all the same and DNZ at least makes a LH one piece.

Your thoughts??

3darcher2
01-09-2016, 10:10 PM
So I did a lot of searching and reading comments, etc, today and found a comment on Amazon for Talley part number 93X708. That's the flat back Talley extended low rings. The commenter said that he used it to install a VX-3 2.5-8x36 and it worked perfectly. I think I am going to order a set and take a chance.