PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 .243

gunrack
01-08-2016, 07:48 PM
I finally found a clean like new used .243 today and traded for it. The only thing I really don't like about it is the Tupperware stock which feels as flimsy as the AXIS stock. My question is....is the Boyd's stocks as good of an option for this model as the Axis or are there other aftermarket stocks as reasonable with better quality without spending a fortune?

pdog2062
01-08-2016, 09:48 PM
I have three Boyd's stocks on my prairie dog rifles,all thumbhole, and am very happy with them.Very comfortable to shoot and look good too.

sendero72
01-11-2016, 11:49 PM
I have the model 11 243 with a Tupperware stock, which was a great little stock to practise a glass bedding job. In the bottom of the forearm you can drill holes in the ribs and insert a few thin metal rods and fill with bedding compound. It's a fun project and it doesn't cost much. You can find glass bedding on Youtube. Mine shoots great out to 500 yds.

gunrack
01-12-2016, 09:31 AM
I ended up filling the fore end of the stock with a high filled resin and then bedded the action and recoil lug. Got a great fit on the bedding job. The thing goes together slick like a press fit. The stock is much stiffer now. Can't wait to shoot it. I am going to clean it up today and get all the release agent off of it and clean the bore good with copper solvent. I got it used so i have no idea how it was taken care of although it is very clean.

GaCop
01-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Keep us informed on how it shoots. :thumb:

gunrack
01-14-2016, 02:44 AM
Got the chance to shoot it today. All I had for ammo was a box of the Winchester Deer season ammo with 95 grain bullets. With the factory stuff it shoots 0.75" to 1.0" at 100 yards. I screwed up and meant to measure the OAL and the from the ogive before I shot it but I shot the entire box before I remembered. Now I have some brass to reload, when I got home I had a box of 100 grain game king's in the mail that I ordered Saturday so it looks like it's time to start tinkering. The trigger needs a little adjustment but I don't have the little tool that comes with the guns that have accutriggers in them to adjust it.

I'm thinking it ought to shoot better than this with hand loads and some seating depth tinkering. I'd say it shoots ok I was hoping for it to shoot a little better but I need to give it a chance with some hand loads before I say too much. I wish I could get lucky and get a rifle one of these days that would shoot like I hear of people getting theirs out of the box and it shooting one hole groups at 100 yards but I have yet to have that happen except with .22's. :-)

GaCop
01-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Work with your set up and hand load. I think you'll find the accuracy will improve. The .243 I built for my son uses a factory 22" barrel and with a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip load in Win brass that I worked up for him, it will put 3 into 1.25" at 200 yards. I put a 4X12X40 Bushnell scope on the rifle for him. My 223AI I built back in 2012 using a Sin Arms barrel will put five into 1.2" at 300 yards using a Hornady 75 gr A-Max pushed by VV N-140 powder in Lapua brass.