PDA

View Full Version : 7mm-08 with 139gr Interlocks

OldDog
01-08-2016, 11:43 AM
I recently picked up an Axis in 7mm-08,and that same evening I ordered dies,brass,and bullets.I ordered Hornady 139gr Interlock blems from Midway.Well everything came in yesterday,and I loaded a few,and if I seat at 2.80 inch the crimp groove is above the brass.I know this is a popular bullet for the 7mm-08,so I figured I would ask some of you were you seat them in your 7mm-08s using this bullet..I have a lot of Imr 4064 on hand ,so I am hoping I can get a good load with it.....Thanks in advance

darkker
01-08-2016, 02:36 PM
This is discussed in the information before load data, in every manual.

As long as you know what the distance to the lands is, in YOUR rifle, then you can seat them anywhere makes you or the rifle happy.

OldDog
01-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Lee's Modern Reloading is very un-specific on bullet type,but they list a minimum O.A.L.,as 2.8 inches for 139 gr jacketed bullets....I would be a little short if I were to seat them to the cannelure..I forgot to mention that these bullets are flat based .....I guess what I'm asking is ,Should I seat at the crimp groove,or just ignore it,and seat longer.

darkker
01-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Seat them where ever you like, as long as you aren't jammed in the lands. I've never listened to the wisdom of a crimp groove...:cool:
Being flat based is irrelevant for OAL, the important bit is the ogive.

GaCop
01-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Darken the ogive of a bullet in a loaded round with a black marker and chamber it. If it's hitting the lands, it will show up on the bullet.

LHitchcox
01-09-2016, 06:59 PM
I seat them so that the crimp grove is exposed also. If you really want to chase the lands, do what GaCop recommends. Darken the ogive with a marker and seat the bullet long. Try to gently close the bolt and if you get resistance, remove the dummy round and look for rifling marks on the bullet. Repeat as necessary until you find the length of the jump and go from there.

devildogandboy
01-09-2016, 10:21 PM
OldDog, just make sure the cannelure is visible and not sitting below the neck, it's okay for it to be further out as long as you're not hitting the lands. here's a good place to find a load with many types of powder and bullets.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Bruce