PDA

View Full Version : Dyna-Tek bore coating

twh731
01-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Howdy all, I tried a forum search for information regarding Dyna-Tek bore coating to no avail. Has anyone used this product and if so what are your results? I have a 7mm Rem Mag model 110 that shoots ok but man the bore collects a bunch of copper. My plan eventually is to install an aftermarket barrel and maybe a stock, but for now I am shooting it as is. This rifle was purchased used and I spent the first couple of days when I got it running patches with Barnes CR10 down the bore because of the severe copper fouling. The first time I took it out to enjoy it I fired 50 rounds at a casual pace over a few hours time. When I got home and cleaned everything up I noticed a severe amount of copper again in the bore. So I cleaned the bore again...took me forever again to get all the copper fouling out. That's the reason for considering the Dyna-Tek bore coating. I think at one time I read an article by...maybe John Barseness...and the author was extolling the virtues of this product. So anybody with actual experience? Don't need to read all the naysaying by people with no actual experience please. I tried moly coating bullets and bore at one time many years ago and that experiment was less that satisfactory for my uses. Worked ok in my Savage 10 308 bore but left clumps in a .222 Rem. which soured me on bore coating treatments. This 7mm seems to have an abnormally rough bore and I spend more time cleaning than shooting it. Anyway, I would like any actual users to post their experiences...good, bad, or ineffectual. Thanks Tom

LongRange
01-08-2016, 10:22 AM
ive never tried it but did look at it when i had the factory barrel on a 300wm so i just thought id let you know if you dont already...i read a lot of reviews on other forums and most were positive but the one thing i noticed while searching was that there was either a bad batch that got out or they had changed the formula but dyna-tek did take care or the issue with the product that wasnt working. so if it were me id call and order direct from dyna-tek...i guess the thing to watch for is the patch or mop you use to apply the coating will get stiff shortly after you apply it and if it dont its the bad or changed coating.

243LPR
01-08-2016, 11:19 PM
What about fire-lapping? Sounds like you have nothing to lose by trying it.

twh731
01-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys for the responses. Didn't know about the "bad batch" thing. Good info. As for firelapping...I could order some of Tubb's .284 firelapping bullets. I have used them in the past for an attempt to salvage my .308 barrel when the useful life of the barrel started to diminish. It was a last ditch effort that didn't help. The rifle had over 5000 rounds thru it and went from being able to take .45 caliber bullets off the backstop to barely able to hold 1.5" group at 100 yds. I have run patches with JB bore paste down the bore of my 7mm Mag...it is one of the steps to prepare for application of the Dyna-Tek so I figured it can't hurt. I may take the rifle out and shoot it some after the JB patches just to see if it helped at all. I have to say that it did start to feel more even and smoother toward the end of the JB patch treatment. Maybe that will do the trick. We just had another severe winter storm this week so I may not be able to make it out to our normal shooting area this weekend. Tom

darkker
01-10-2016, 07:49 PM
As much as it pains me to say so, YES, it does in fact work as advertised.

What absolutely positively CANNOT be stressed enough, is the cleaning. You absolutely HAVE to get the thing clean first. Not "Close enough for the girls I go out with" clean, talking mother Teresa's soul clean.
Skimp on the cleaning, and you'll get skimped results.