PDA

View Full Version : action and mag question

BrettSass844
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
I always hear people in the savage world talking about having a model 11 staggerfed or a model 10 centerfed. I guess my main question is are all the actions from different models interchangeable as long as you have the correct mag fed components? I have been wondering this for a while but can't seem to stumble across the right history lesson. Also, are all the models made now centerfed? No matter if its a stevens, model 10, 11, 12 this is how I took a article I was reading the other day but the wording was somewhat misleading. Are the action screw spacing and the specs all the same? Thanks in advance guys

ellobo
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Check the Savage webssite. They arnt always up to speed on it but the information is therre.

El Lobo

82boy
06-26-2010, 12:10 AM
To answer your question.
The stagard feed guns was made up until 2006. The Savage was the first to receive the change, Stevens 200 followed. The 223/204 guns did not change over to the center feed magazine until a couple of years latter. With the change of the magazine from the stagard feed to the center feed system they had to change the action screw mounting on the short actions to accommodate the change. The long actions use the same screw spacing.

Savage is a strange company, the will make special runs of guns, and use warehoused parts to get guns out, and they will never change a number. Majority off all Savage/Stevens l guns are center feed. I am unsure if all new production guns are center feed, because Savage offers some package guns, and walmart special with the old pre accu-trigger, and I believe they are still using the old stagard feed detachable magazine system on them. Some of them may be in change over as we speak.

Are the actions different? Yes, in machining for the magazine system, they use all the other same parts. You could use a center feed long action on a stagard feed stock with no problem, and vise a versa, because they use the same bolt spacing. Some modifications would be needed to make the magazine fit and function. The short action has a different bolt spacing but it you knocked the pillar out, or oval it out, you could use a center feed on a stagard feed and vise a versa, again with modification to the magazine are of the stock.