PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Bedding a 93 f and pillars?

Turbolung
01-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Has anyone bedded or added pillars to their rimfire 93? And did you see a noticeable improvent in accuracy?

Artie1957
01-11-2016, 07:19 PM
I thought these rifles had free floating barrels?
Take a dollar bill and run it towards the action between the barrel and stock. It should go all the way.

Turbolung
01-11-2016, 11:48 PM
They are free floated. Are you saying there's no need to pillar and glass bed if a rifle is already free floated?

Artie1957
01-14-2016, 08:14 AM
I'm no gunsmith by any means but I do know this- the main purpose to bed a stock is to keep the action from moving around from the recoil.
By glass bedding you create the most contact between the ACTION and the stock. So, now when you tighten the action to the stock it doesn't move around from recoil. When the action moves around or has flex that can effect accuracy.
Since a rimfire has very little recoil it is a preference rather than a necessity.

GaCop
01-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Bedding is recommended for the 93 but it's a lot of work due to the poor stock design.

Artie1957
01-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Larry Potterfield from Midway USA has a few videos on YouTube that can explain the prosess.

jfksc
01-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Have you shot it yet as is? I just got a 93r in 17hmr with wood stock and I honestly don't know how it could shoot any better than it does straight from the factory. The accuracy and consistency is mind boggling. I, like you, had aspirations of tinkering with this rifle to get it to shoot better before I ever shot it, but now I'm not going to touch it. I like the trigger, but if I was going to do anything at this point it would be the Apachee trigger kit and heavier bottom metal way before I considered bedding it.

Artie1957
01-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Have you shot it yet as is? I just got a 93r in 17hmr with wood stock and I honestly don't know how it could shoot any better than it does straight from the factory. The accuracy and consistency is mind boggling. I, like you, had aspirations of tinkering with this rifle to get it to shoot better before I ever shot it, but now I'm not going to touch it. I like the trigger, but if I was going to do anything at this point it would be the Apachee trigger kit and heavier bottom metal way before I considered bedding it.

Well said! Now (scanning the page)...where is that like button...

Turbolung
01-14-2016, 07:35 PM
I have shot one box and its not bad..holes touching at 50 with alot of rogues due to brand new gun. I like the stock accuracy but I swear I'm a bit when it comes to performance expectations. If 3 holes don't touch at 100 I'm not satisfied lol that's prolly asking to much from the rifle...but if its possible I won't sleep until its done bahah no way I'm gonna spend more than I paid for the thing to replace the barrel.. But if those two small upgrades get it there I want it done. You are a wise man to not mess with what's not broken though. I just don't wanna miss out on the potential the 93 has to offer. I do see one side of the stock almost touches the barrel. So..I will take that on first. What corrects that?

Artie1957
01-14-2016, 07:54 PM
I have shot one box and its not bad..holes touching at 50 with alot of rogues due to brand new gun. I like the stock accuracy but I swear I'm a bit when it comes to performance expectations. If 3 holes don't touch at 100 I'm not satisfied lol that's prolly asking to much from the rifle...but if its possible I won't sleep until its done bahah no way I'm gonna spend more than I paid for the thing to replace the barrel.. But if those two small upgrades get it there I want it done. You are a wise man to not mess with what's not broken though. I just don't wanna miss out on the potential the 93 has to offer. I do see one side of the stock almost touches the barrel. So..I will take that on first. What corrects that?
Try putting your ammunition into groups reguarding rim thickness first. Then weigh said groups and pile them accordingly.
This should shrink your groupings down range.

Turbolung
01-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Iv only used one brand..winchester Vmax. Are you saying the casing are inconsistent? Lol like the comment about the like button

Artie1957
01-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Iv only used one brand..winchester Vmax. Are you saying the casing are inconsistent? Lol like the comment about the like button
No, not the casing. The rim itself can vary in thickness. Thus, determining how much head space they have.
Some go as far as weighing them as well after the rim check.
Some forgo the process of measuring the rim thickness and go straight to weighing them.
The concept is this- you can take cheap bulk ammunition and group them into match grade ammunition.

savgebolt
01-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Turbo,,,,,, trying to think back where i saw several forum threads on bedding the 93 , in here , or rimfire central,,,,, worth the look

Turbolung
01-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Will do..I have read up and watch a few vids on bedding..but I'm too chicken to do myself..I know everyone says its easy but iv never done it or seen anyone do it so I'd feel safer paying a pro...main thing was finding out if it makes a difference on the rimfires before I spend the money..

Artie1957
01-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Will do..I have read up and watch a few vids on bedding..but I'm too chicken to do myself..I know everyone says its easy but iv never done it or seen anyone do it so I'd feel safer paying a pro...main thing was finding out if it makes a difference on the rimfires before I spend the money..
If this is something that you want to do or be done. Then you should proceed full speed ahead! Start a tread on it and post your progress. It is something that I would very interested in keeping up with.

bigfish27
01-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Here is link that pillar and 'glass' beds a 93.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?37560-Pillars-amp-Bedding-Reinforcing-the-Boyds-Laminate-Stock&referrerid=10176

Turbolung
01-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Thanks for linking that Big Fish..makes me wanna get one of those stocks..I wonder if that dude is an engineer lol