PDA

View Full Version : 116 LWH talley one piece mount PROBLEM

David C.
01-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Happy New Year peeps, I just bought my first rifle ever and I got the 116 LWH and I also got the light talley one piece mounts. I have no idea what's going on when I put them on. I think I ordered the right mounts, I ordered medium 1" savage rings w/accutrigger. The only one left that I think might be a solution is the 1" savage w/accutrigger extended. Will that solve my problem? The screws that it came with are to long and goes through the receiver bridge. All the screws are the same length. What do I do?!

FW Conch
01-07-2016, 04:41 PM
I use the Talley's, but I have all short actions. Their my favorite rings.

What problem are you having?

As far as the long screws, I shorten mine with a file or a stone. It's usually the front one that is too long and hits the barrel threads.

I think it's always a good idea to use the extended ring/bases. Gives us more options.

Good Shootings...Jim :-)

David C.
01-07-2016, 04:43 PM
what does the extended ring/bases do? My back mount is what's screwing me haha. The screws hit the bolt

FW Conch
01-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Since you have a long action, I can only assume that your "problem" is that your scope and mounts are not lining up to position the scope the way you need it? The extended base gives you the option of turning it around giving mounting options.

If any of your mounting screws are too long, the solution is the same. Shorten them. When installing, remove the bolt. Stick your finger inside the action, you can feel the ends of the screws if they come all the way through. Any that hit the bolt or the barrel snould be shortened enough that they don't.

David C.
01-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks conch I guess all I have to do is shorten the screws then. My gun is a short action though but next time I get a rifle I'll make sure to get extended mounts. THANKS! I thought i'd have to buy new screw or something, I'm over ordering stuffff.

FW Conch
01-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Your title post said "116". Short action would be "16".

With the short action, the standard bases usually work. But some scopes, configurations, could have issues. The last Talleys I got were extended. I like the versatility.

David C.
01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Oh.. thanks for correcting me, I guess mine is long action then. How should I shorten the screws?

FW Conch
01-07-2016, 05:57 PM
What is your rifle chambered in?

You can put the screw in the bit you use for installation, and file it down to length, stone it, grind it down with a Dremmel tool, or a bench grinder. Make sure you hold on to the screw so that it doesn't fly across the room and get lost forever.

Richard
01-07-2016, 06:35 PM
When using a bench grinder , hold the screw with pliers , or you'll burn your fingers, ask me how I know

David C.
01-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Its a 308

FW Conch
01-07-2016, 07:25 PM
A 308 from the factory should be a short action, unless it is an old long action 308, which I think were labeled 110's. The current Savage web site lists 16/116, which could explain the confusion. All it means is, if you have a short action clambering, it is a 16, a long action clambering is 116. If your action screw spacing is 4.27" or 4.4", you have a short action. If the action screw spacing is over 5", you have a long action. The details on action lengths is well explained in the FAQ's.

short round
01-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Call Talley. Are both bases made the same on the bottom ? Is receiver round or flat were rear base fits? If receiver is round both should be the same, if rear is flat, the base is made flat. You may have wrong rings.

David C.
01-09-2016, 02:38 AM
thanks for the info on the action
the rear mount is round, they fit well all it is is the screws are to long and enter the receiver. My friends cousin is a gun smith so I'll get him to shorten them for me, I'm to noob right now to try anything on my own