PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Axis w/ HB

Special Ed
01-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Hi y'all

I have a thread in the Axis section but but my thread is old-ish and I noticed the build thread section so figured I'd post the final results here.

She started life as a Lefty Axis .308 with sporter barrel but that didn't last long. I decided to fix a few of the basic needs before I even bothered shooting it. I just got her back from the doctor (Western Tactical Gunsmithing in Denton, TX) today. The doc swapped the sporter barrel for an Axis 22" .308 Heavy Barrel. He bedded the action and got my trigger setup all nice and sweet - I installed the Timney myself but afterwards I decided to let the smith look at it to be sure it was safe. The details:

LH Axis .308
Axis .308 Heavy Barrel
Boyd's Heritage stock in Forest Camo w/ 14.75" LOP
Timney trigger
Burris XTR II 5-25x50 w/ FFP G2B Mil-Dot reticle
EGW Axis 20 MOA mount
Vortex Precision Matched 34mm rings .92"
Harris BRM-S bipod

The smith and his assistant remarked at how heavy this girl is and how huge the scope is. Its intended purpose is to start me off in long range and F-Class so the scope had to be substantial and the overall weight isn't an issue. FWIW - she weighs in at 12 lbs 5 oz with the bipod attached (11 lbs 8 oz without).

The Axis HB will last as long as it lasts but I will eventually put a (perhaps longer) match grade barrel on it. Aside from the scope I wanted to keep my investment lower while I convince myself that LR shooting is something I really want to do. If I don't, I'll have one heck of a hog rifle :cool:

http://geekrc.net/images/Axis-Upgraded-Done.jpg

LongRange
01-07-2016, 04:52 PM
nice rig!!

Special Ed
01-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks, LR. I know it's not going to be all the rage at F-Class shoots but it's going to get me started. As long as the custom gun clubbers don't turn up their noses at me because it's an Axis, I'll have no problem taking her out and coming in last place :cool:

LongRange
01-08-2016, 09:42 AM
oh they wont...all of them will be very helpful...i shoot F-class with ladies and guys that shoot rifles that the scopes cost more than my rifle and all my gear...just find a load the shoots well and practice at distance...if you can shoot in the mid 500s(assuming your shooting 3 strings of 20)you will hold your own.