PDA

View Full Version : 110 bushmaster 450 build update.

Warrick
01-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Just passing on some progress on my build. Last night I did receive most of my tools I need to complete my build so I went ahead and thought I would see if I could get the barrel off my factory 110 in 30/06. I purchased a Viper barrel vise from Brownells and a wheeler nut wrench, hoping I was not going to need a action wrench to get the barrel loose.

I mounted the vise on my bench and tightened down the barrel and two hits on the wrench later the nut was free and the action spun freely off the barrel. The Viper held tight with no slip at all. Couldn't be happier with its performance.

I didn't really have much time to go any further , but I plan on mocking up the barrel tonight to begin fitting the factory wood stock in sport to a varmint contour. Should have the PTG gauges in Friday to set headspace , and on to the range.

I know I have herd a lot of people say that I wont be able to get the action to feed well and I need to go to a SA, but I have also herd from several others on this sight that it will feed very well with some lip modification and loading to the rear of the magazine. But either way I am going forward with this build and if I cant get it to work I will just buy a short action and swap barrels and have two savages.
I would like to end up with a deer gun and a coyote gun, for sentimental reasons I really want to hang on to the 110 action I have.

GaCop
01-08-2016, 09:46 AM
I'm considering a 450 build so am very interested in your progress.

Warrick
01-08-2016, 07:41 PM
GaCop I got the barrel free floating in the stock last night. It took a total of about two hours of sanding with sockets in similar size of the barrel.
I have a 20 inch barrel from Apache in varmint contour and so far without scope or sling it weighs 8 pounds on my home scale. Would like to keep it under ten pounds if possible.

clintsrv
01-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Is the 110 action SF or CF?

Warrick
01-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Is the 110 action SF or CF?

Its a sf.

Warrick
01-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Well USPS did not drop off my gauges today so I went to the local gun shop and picked up a box of Hornadys . I really wanted to see if this gun would cycle through or not. As a lot of you know this gun has a two stage safety, so you can cycle with the trigger on safety.
I cycled about 9 rounds through and I had no jamming issues, but the lips where rather sharp and causing some issues with dragging and scaring the cases. I took the magazine out and filled down the sharp edges and ran about another 6 rounds through the rifle and I thought I screwed up because the lips where letting the rounds pop up now not holding the round long enough. So I Took it back out and tapped the lips with a hammer to bring them both more down and to the center of the magazine. After that I ran another 9 rounds through and it feed smooth and fast.

That was the good news , but I discovered my front action screw is to long, after I relieved the barrel for the stock. I guess the rifle must have been resting on the nut, and after the area was sanded it allowed the lug and action to drop down a little. The screw is now making contact with the bolt. I have bought a wheeler torque screw driver, and cant even get it down to 20 lbs. I guess I am going to grind down the screw a little to make it work.

Having fun and I am very happy that the feeding is a lot better than I expected it to be. Hopefully it stays that way.

mattri
01-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Will be watching this with interest.

clintsrv
01-10-2016, 09:13 AM
I had a 450 BM on a 110 LA. It was CF. I used the B&C medalist designed for SF. A CF 308 mag box w/ follower was glued in to the very front of mag opening. I used a 223 front baffle on the bolt to limit rear travel of the bolt cycling and it fed excellent. The B&C was great for the round and very much pleasurable to shoot.

I believe the same could be achieved using a SF action, some mods may be needed. The CF mag completely eliminates extra rounds popping out.

Warrick
01-10-2016, 03:44 PM
I had a 450 BM on a 110 LA. It was CF. I used the B&C medalist designed for SF. A CF 308 mag box w/ follower was glued in to the very front of mag opening. I used a 223 front baffle on the bolt to limit rear travel of the bolt cycling and it fed excellent. The B&C was great for the round and very much pleasurable to shoot.

I believe the same could be achieved using a SF action, some mods may be needed. The CF mag completely eliminates extra rounds popping out.

Thanks for the info, gives me some great info.

Warrick
01-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info, gives me some great info.

I assume your talking about putting a center feed 308 blind mag in my stock now. I would assume it would work good, once you get it lined up just apoxy it in place. I plan on doing a pillar and bedding job on this stock anyhow. Any idea where I could find a center feed blind mag , I have been searching all day and can't find one. If I had a serial number for a gun with one I could order it from savage.

clintsrv
01-10-2016, 08:38 PM
PM me. I'll send you one w/ a follower

GaCop
01-11-2016, 02:47 PM

Good FYI info!

Warrick
01-12-2016, 09:34 PM
I got the gauges in yesterday and set the head spacing. I was actually a little tight on my mock up on the factory load. I could cycle factory loads but neither the go or no go would even budge. This was my fist time setting head spacing and the PTG gauges gave me a soild feel of closing or not closing. I did have both the extraxtor and plunger removed.

i am awaiting some more parts from clintsrv, to work on basically turning it in to a short action center feed. Thanks Clintsrv for the out of the box thinking! I also need to get everything together to pillar and glass bed the stock. I can just tell by the way it goes on that it is not a very soild connection, and I want to bed the action before I take it to the range so I am not disappointed.

Going to be pretty busy most of the week so I hope to get back on it Saturday and Sunday.

Warrick
01-15-2016, 11:57 PM
Installed the SA hidden CF magazine. It feeds great ,Thanks to clintsrv for the parts. I had a video but it didn't seem to work. I will get it on soon. If you search on YouTube for "savage 110 chambered in 450 bushmaster" it will come up. The video is under Phillip Evans.

Still have a lot that I want to do to the gun but it its at the point I can put the scope back on and shoot it. I am going to upgrade the scope mount and scope along with the bedding work.

clintsrv
01-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Just checked the video.
Great job and looks like you'll have zero problem with it.

Warrick
01-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Thanks Clintsrv , the SA CF magazine fit in the stock pretty well on the money. I had to file down the front of the mag to allow for clearance of the bottom of the ramp. It didn't like to feed as well if I tried to put it behind the ramp. Your idea really turned this build from so so to excellent.

Warrick
01-23-2016, 04:11 PM
I mounted a cheap scope and rings I had on another gun just to get out and try it out, just can't wait to get the extra money to get the glass, I want to shot it. I plan on going with the primary arms 4x16x44 ffp mil-mil , PA rings, EGW 0 moa mount.

Ok so I am leaving out soon to put the first round down the pipe of my first barrel change and build. I did all the right things measured the chamber depth, gauges for head space setting and I know all should be right. But, I am really nervous about squeezing off the first round. So wish me luck not expecting great things with the scope set up and needing some stock attention but I want to get a baseline to show improvement from.

Warrick
01-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Gun shot pretty good at 50 yards , I wasn't shooting very good though. Had a .65 moa 3 shot group ,with a poor rest and me shooting badly so I am happy for now. Lots of room for improvement on me and the gun.

GaCop
02-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Any up date on your build and range results? :becky:

Warrick
02-23-2016, 08:24 PM
I opened a thread awhile back here. Still building up funds to complete how I want. I shot the gun with the only set of rings and scope I had around, the rings are extra high so I was almost floating my cheek! I will give another update soon after I get the glass set up and bedding done. Still not sure what I want to do with the stock as in finish, I am thinking getting a dip kit or paint it a camo pattern.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?49097-450-bushmaster-Hornady-250gr-fatory-loads