PDA

View Full Version : Went to see my Lawyer

Balljoint
01-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Finily went to se my lawyer last night for an updated will and a NFW Trust set up for my gun collection, said didn't need an nfw now gave me some ideas on how to keep an inventory of what is mine and what is held by the Brother just said to place a tag on the rifles that are my brothers and the family.
Also that both my wife and i get our Lic To Carry and some other info.

huntin1
01-07-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm not an attorney, but a probate attorney explained it to my like this.

If you die, your property is divided according to your will, if you don't have one it goes to your spouse. She can divide it as she sees fit, the tags you place on your guns will be as good as her willingness to honor your wishes. If you both die, like in a car crash, all of your property goes into probate and a judge decides where it goes according to whatever documents and claims are filed against it. Your tags may or may not be honored. However, if you have a trust, that is a document that is issued by the courts and a probate judge must honor it, so your guns will go wherever your trust indicates.

Do you need a trust? Probably not, but I still think it's a good idea, and it gives me the piece of mind that I know where my guns are going when I die.

yobuck
01-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Also with a trust its easier to (dictate) where you (dont) wish any assets to go.