PDA

View Full Version : stevens 200 6x45 build

Remingtonman
01-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Picked a stevens 200 in 223 for a GREAT deal and im turning it into a 6mmx223. Question is when i rebarrel it should I stick with the factory recoil lug and barrel nut or should I upgrade? Will upgrading give me an edge on better accuracy? Thanks

TORCHRIDER
01-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Just speaking for myself I have seen no difference in accuracy between the several rifles I built using the stock or aftermarket recoil lug. I have two that shoot lights out using the stock recoil lug. However, I will also say I have seen magnum calibers bend a stock recoil lug. So if I was building a magnum or a competition rifle I would go with an aftermarket lug just to be on the safe side. Otherwise I would not worry about it. That's my two cents.

olddav
01-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Some say Yes, some say No.
I dont think that upgrading the lug and barrel nut will provide additional accuracy but it might make you feel better about the rifle.
Replacing mine removed one question from my mind while I try to improve my shooting skills.

psharon97
01-05-2016, 08:46 PM
IMO, if you're going to put a custom barrel on a rifle, then yes, I would replace the recoil lug. The barrel nut, not so much.

86alaskan
01-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Can't hurt, I think NSS sells both of them for like $25 or so, so why not. like the others said, it removes doubt and instills confidence knowing that those parts are true. I have trued nut and lug on my 284 and it shoots great, and stock nut and lug on a 260 and it also shoots great. Up to you, but why not?

Remingtonman
01-05-2016, 11:14 PM
the main reason i wouldnt go with the heavier duty recoil lug and barrel nut is due to the xtra $$$ but im going to look at prices and go from there. Ive narrowed my choice down to 2 rifle stocks, one is boyds the other is a hogue. Which of the two is a better stock for accuracy? Main use is varmint hunting and punching paper.

GaCop
01-06-2016, 08:08 AM
the main reason i wouldnt go with the heavier duty recoil lug and barrel nut is due to the xtra $$$ but im going to look at prices and go from there. Ive narrowed my choice down to 2 rifle stocks, one is boyds the other is a hogue. Which of the two is a better stock for accuracy? Main use is varmint hunting and punching paper. The Boyd's is a good stock but will require the installation of pillars and I would also glass bed it. I have no experience with the Hogue so can't comment on it.