PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Shooter Supply PPC Extractor?

Newtosavage
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Anyone use one of these? It sounds like this is what I need to get my mil-surp 7.62x39 cases to extract correctly.

http://www.switchbarrel.com/Extractor.htm

Newtosavage
01-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Anyone?

sharpshooter
01-06-2016, 02:34 AM
The PPC extractor hasn't been made in over 5 years. The main purpose of the PPC extractor was for 6 PPC cases using a .473 bolt head. It only worked for bench rest shooting when the ejector was removed, and the cases were picked out.
The more popular solution was a PPC bolt head (.445" dia.) which extracted and ejected cases with less problems.

Newtosavage
01-06-2016, 01:03 PM
So then I understand from your response that they are not available any longer and that I should be looking instead to replace my bolt head with a PPC head?

If I do this, will I need to readjust the headspace?

Thank you for your help.

short round
01-06-2016, 02:08 PM
You most likely have a PPC head, 7.62X39 & PPC are the same. May be ejection problem, not extraction. It is difficult to get PPC to eject, due to the short length of the case, most shooters remove ejector. PPC case is 1.510" in length, 7.62 is 1.528". If the case is being pulled from the chamber & flopping around backwards it is an ejector issue. Might try brass cases to see if it works better.

Newtosavage
01-06-2016, 03:18 PM
It does tend to work better with brass cases, but it's still not 100% with those. However, one of the main reasons I bought a gun in this caliber was to shoot the inexpensive steel-cased ammo. In fact, the Hornady SST steel case shoots sub-MOA for me at a very affordable price, and I'd be very disappointed if I couldn't get the extraction/ejection issue resolved.

This was a factory 7.62x39 Savage Scout rifle, so I would hope it had the correct bolt head size already, but I don't know that for sure. I guess I can mic. it when I get home to check. Or maybe Savage just used the same head as the .308 for this particular gun?

I just know that my cases are making partway out (so they are being extracted from the chamber) and then falling off the bolt before they are ejected.

What's the best way to diagnose whether it's an ejector or extractor problem?

drybean
01-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Yep that's the problem with short cases
try a .140 extraction detent ball

Newtosavage
01-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Good info. Thanks guys. I'm learning a lot here.

Newtosavage
01-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Ordered the enhanced extractor kit from SSS today. We'll see if that does the trick. They assured me it would. It includes the .140 ball.

GaCop
01-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Let us know if the kit solves the problem. I have problems with my old 110FP in 223 failing to eject cases at times, even after replacing the detent ball. It seems like certain brands of brass are more problematic than others.

Newtosavage
01-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Okay, will do. I sure hope it works. Love the rifle. Hate the extractor. :(

Newtosavage
01-07-2016, 11:24 AM
You most likely have a PPC head, 7.62X39 & PPC are the same.

Yup. You're right. Measured it last night and sure enough, it's a smaller bolt head than my .308 Savage.

Omegaone
01-09-2016, 05:14 PM
I recently bought the SSS PPC kit for .308 Hog hunter. It originally had terrible ejection, the bullet casing would not leave the action. I tried the Larger ball bearing but it did not help that much (it held the case now but still did throw the brass clear). After the 5 Min install of the PPC kit, THe rilfe ejects like a mauser action It throws the brass clear a good foot.
This is Not my Rifle or me but this you-tube video Sold me on the PPC kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCEDLBkQUDU
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCEDLBkQUDU)
Brownells can get them in I paid 25 USD with 10 shipping, SSS website Doesn't really have them listed but email them it will take awhile. I live in Canada so ordering directly for SSS is no-no they won't sell directly to Canadians/Internationally...DUmb ITAR Rules.......

Newtosavage
01-11-2016, 10:25 AM
I recently bought the SSS PPC kit for .308 Hog hunter. It originally had terrible ejection, the bullet casing would not leave the action. I tried the Larger ball bearing but it did not help that much (it held the case now but still did throw the brass clear). After the 5 Min install of the PPC kit, THe rilfe ejects like a mauser action It throws the brass clear a good foot.
This is Not my Rifle or me but this you-tube video Sold me on the PPC kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCEDLBkQUDU
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCEDLBkQUDU)
Brownells can get them in I paid 25 USD with 10 shipping, SSS website Doesn't really have them listed but email them it will take awhile. I live in Canada so ordering directly for SSS is no-no they won't sell directly to Canadians/Internationally...DUmb ITAR Rules.......

That's encouraging, however my rifle ejects and throws the live rounds just fine. From what I can see, the extra length of the bullet riding along the inside of the action allows the shell to stay in the bolt face long enough to allow the extractor and ejector to do their job. It's the empty cases that are failing to eject some of the time. The casing will ride along the inside wall of the receiver, but once it reaches a certain point, the angle of the case changes and it falls off the bolt face. :(

Anyway, I hope the SSS kit fixes this.

I picked up some inexpensive TulAmmo 154 grain-soft points the other day (steel cases) and they actually ejected pretty well. I only had a few of those fall back in the receiver. So it definitely varies from round to round and brand to brand. My Winchester brass usually ejects fine. The Hornady steel case SST rounds are really poor at ejecting.

Ol' BW
01-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Maybe they put the wrong ejector in the bolt head? There is a fix in the modification articles to make your ejector push out farther, thus keeping tension on the case as it is ejected. Never tried it but it looks pretty simple.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?142-How-to-Lengthen-an-Ejector

BW

Newtosavage
01-14-2016, 10:13 AM
I saw that mod. I'm not sure pushing it out further is the problem. I think the extractor just isn't getting enough "bite" on the case and holding it long enough. Hoping the SSS extractor comes in soon so I can test this theory. If that doesn't work, I'll just use the 154-grain TulAmmo steel cased rounds as those seem to be working okay with the current extractor. I think the rim on those steel cases are a little more square and clean than the Hornady steel cases. Either that or whatever they coat those Hornady cases with is gumming up the extractor. The TulAmmo cases look clean and uncoated to me.

BTW - anchored another pig with the gun yesterday evening. Pigs 'round here are fearing this little russian scout now. :D